Tuesday, May 10, 2011

they should stay so long that they become friends.

 and my winter boots
 and my winter boots.And you dont have to say you love me. Oh. He can handle the English. The shock dulls the pain; but this is all right. Listen. I said. Now they have a guard outside his house with a bayonet and nobody can come to see his mother and father and sisters and his father loses his civil rights and cannot even vote. You rarely find any one any good this close to the front.Im not angry. the water clear. she said.It hasnt come up.

 she said. Not in this war. It was all as I had left it except that now it was spring. A. She had slapped my face hard.That was a big trench mortar. dont you It seemed it was a very funny joke if you understood it properly.What is her nameFerguson.Dont go. I said. Rinaldi saluted. chemical smells and the sweet smell of blood.How are you.

 then.Cough. went on the captain.Bring him in. he himself so small that you could not see his face but only the top of his cap and his narrow back. We are all splendid. I do not believe in the Free Masons however. It was all right with me.Im dreadfully sorry. I tried to move sideways so that it did not fall on me. brought by Gordini who looked very white and sick. I was angry and yet certain. Sculpture had always seemed a dull businessstill.

 The major said there was an Italian story something like that about the duchess who could not sleep at night.Well crack. We are not peasants. You should go to Rome. and relaxed. you patriots.There will be no more offensive now that the snow has come. Not in the auto ambulance. It was all right if she was. I said.You are ignorant. In the dark I could not see where it came from the canvas overhead. They sent me the little stick.

 You would like the people and though it is cold it is clear and dry. cartridges. the captain said looking at the priest and at me. They all ask for you. Passini said still respectfully. We went along the rough new military road that followed the crest of the ridge and I looked to the north at the two ranges of mountains.Ill leave you two. isnt there I was brought up to think there was.Whats the matter nowNew rings. Inside there was a light. Most of the helmets were too big and came down almost over the ears of the men who wore them. Im something called a V. It ought to be good.

They come after you.Goodnight. dont you It seemed it was a very funny joke if you understood it properly. What kind of time did you haveMagnificent. yes. We work very hard but no one trusts us. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs. the broken houses of the little town that was to be taken. No that wasnt it. an officer directing the light and the crew scared. I said.What is itThe man on the stretcher over me has a hemorrhage.And why didnt you marryI dont know.

 tipping their heads back. Not very well. I love you so.Whats the matter nowNew rings. The pain hasnt started yet. There was fighting in the mountains and at night we could see the flashes from the artillery. They carried wounded in and brought them out. I tried to move sideways so that it did not fall on me.How are you. Mr. I said. They were laughing. He started with the upright thumb and named in their order the thumb and four fingers.

 Then there was one that we did not hear coming until the sudden rush. I gave them each a package of cigarettes. green and dark to the snow line and then white and lovely in the sun.It was because we were scared. the lieutenant said. baby. The posts for the cars would have to be as near the river as they could get and keep covered. The orderly brought a chair and he sat down.It doesnt finish. It was a hot day and there were many flies in the room. Well take you back with us. Well stop by the road here. I saw that word pricked him and kept on.

 she said. When we were out on the gravel drive she said.In the legs. The captain was having a great success with finger games. I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing. I thought she was very beautiful and I took her hand. Next week the war starts again. a few freshly washed. drunk.She laughed.I dont believe it. You could not tell anything about them. It was a long time since I had written to the States and I knew I should write but I had let it go so long that it was almost impossible to write now.

 We do get along.Do you want to very muchYes.It is true. He made a gesture and laughed loudly. he said.Outside we ran across the brickyard.Dont you wish you could bellow like himHe bellows.Do you like itVery much.Later.Four hundred twenty or minnenwerfer. he said. and he came from Amalfi.Youre a good old boy.

 Oh. Chew those.Oh.I say its rotten.Did they scare you. It would not finish it if one side stopped fighting.I think we can get you the silver.You have that pleasant air of a dog in heat. My legs felt warm and wet and my shoes were wet and warm inside. We drove slowly in this matting covered tunnel and came out onto a bare cleared space where the railway station had been. soldiers would. He lived in Udine and came out in this way nearly every day to see how things were going. Always in Rome.

 then it pattered into a stream. Goodnight. Tenente. Is there anything youd like to talk aboutBut I do love you. He stopped the car and looked in through the hole behind his seat. You see the point. After I was wounded I never found him.Rinaldi poured himself another glass of the cognac. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley.Oughf.Four for 105. He would loan them mess tins if they did not have them. a hard bright burst and flash and then gray smoke that blew across the road.

 There were many marble busts on painted wooden pillars along the walls of the room they used for an office. You rarely find any one any good this close to the front. the stump of his leg twitching. left the car at the dressing station under the hill.You love Italy Rinaldi asked Miss Ferguson in English. green and dark to the snow line and then white and lovely in the sun. nights in bed. But those grenadiers; all over six feet.Ill be right here.Three hundred fives.All right. Let them keep their sisters in the house.That road will be a dirty mess.

 father. hot and dirty. I come to see you again soon. Dont you read it. It was there that the offensive was to begin. she said. I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in. Manera said.Have you any cheeseThe major spoke grudgingly to the orderly who ducked back into the hole again and came out with a quarter of a white cheese. They cant go on doing things like the Somme and not crack. undid my tunic and tried to rip the tail of my shirt.Arent you a nurseOh. he pointed to the thumb. Manera said.

 Passini said. he said.We sat on the flat stone bench and I held Catherine Barkleys hand. sure that this was all and all and all and not caring. Oh. Miss Barkley was in the garden. Get well soon.In the legs. waiting for Catherine Barkley to come down. baby How do you feel I bring you this It was a bottle of cognac. Some wore their steel helmets but most of them carried them slung from their packs. bulged forward under the capes so that the men.You did exactly right. It is a disgrace that they should stay so long that they become friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment