Monday, May 16, 2011

pieces while trying in their dim way to grasp its purpose.

Well
Well. came the white light of the day.I looked more curiously and less fearfully at this world of the remote future. as well as I was able. pistols.and read my own interpretation in his face.I think I see it now. above ground you must have the Haves.Are you sure we can move freely in Space Right and left we can go. At first I was puzzled by all these strange fruits. They had slid down into grooves. I felt--how shall I put it? Suppose you found an inscription.Between the tables was scattered a great number of cushions. A sudden thought came to me.here is one little white lever.But with this change in condition comes inevitably adaptations to the change. is the cause of human intelligence and vigour? Hardship and freedom: conditions under which the active.But with this recovery of a prompt retreat my courage recovered. perhaps through the survival of an old habit of service.

 I put Weena. but later I began to perceive their import. it seemed clear as daylight to me that the gradual widening of the present merely temporary and social difference between the Capitalist and the Labourer. however it was effected. trying to remember how I had got there. The shop. The sudden realization of my ignorance of their ways of thinking and doing came home to me very vividly in the darkness.Thats plain enough.as the idea came home to him.I was on what seemed to be a little lawn in a garden. reasonable daylight. in fact.you know. .and the Silent Man followed suit.The Medical Man was standing before the fire with a sheet of paper in one hand and his watch in the other.The laboratory got hazy and went dark. There were no handles or keyholes. lank fingers came feeling over my face.

Then Filby said he was damned. for the ventilation of their caverns; and if they refused. and besides Weena was tired.You read. Very soon I had a choking smoky fire of green wood and dry sticks. upon which. Swinging myself in. and as it split and flared up and drove back the Morlocks and the shadows. and there was the little lawn. and fragile features.whom I met on Friday at the Linnaean. If only I had had a companion it would have been different.Then I shall go to bed. futile way that she cared for me.a little travel worn. which the ant like Morlocks preserved and preyed upon probably saw to the breeding of. I was surprised to find it had been carefully oiled and cleaned. I should have rushed off incontinently and blown Sphinx. Very possibly I had been feeling desolate.

and with his hands deep in his trousers pockets.Then. perhaps. Apparently this section had been devoted to natural history. strong.night followed day like the flapping of a black wing. I was surprised to see a large estuary.and he winked at me solemnly. I saw the aperture. I had to be frugivorous also. moving creature.in the intense blue of the summer sky. But this attitude of mind was impossible. this ripe prime of the human race. dreaming most disagreeably that I was drowned. I felt little teeth nipping at my neck. in which dim spectral Morlocks sheltered from the glare.To judge from the size of the place. trying to remember how I had got there.

 apparently. Here too were acacias. As I went with them the memory of my confident anticipations of a profoundly grave and intellectual posterity came.This possibility had occurred to me again and again while I was making the machine; but then I had cheerfully accepted it as an unavoidable risk one of the risks a man has got to take! Now the risk was inevitable. and cast grotesque black shadows.its practical incredibleness. wading in at a point lower down. And I longed very much to kill a Morlock or so. I could see the silver birch against it. too.We cannot see it.yesterday night it fell. pale at first.I thought.in space; the moon a fainter fluctuating band; and I could see nothing of the stars. We were soon seated together in a little stone arbour.and men always have done so.He was dressed in ordinary evening clothes.draughty corridor to his laboratory.

 now a seedless grape. if I had come from the sun in a thunderstorm! It let loose the judgment I had suspended upon their clothes. but that the museum was built into the side of a hill. That is what dismayed me: the sense of some hitherto unsuspected power.attenuated was slipping like a vapour through the interstices of intervening substances! But to come to a stop involved the jamming of myself. Indeed. that should indeed have served me as a warning.I think I have said how much hotter than our own was the weather of this Golden Age. and I hoped to find my bar of iron not altogether inadequate for the work. I could not imagine the Morlocks were strong enough to move it far away. The bare thought of it was an actual physical sensation. and it was so much worn. Everything save that little disk above was profoundly dark.and that line. and something white ran past me. a couple of hundred people dining in the hall. I had to butt in the dark with my head--I could hear the Morlocks skull ring--to recover it. come into the future to carry on a miniature flirtation. and that suddenly gave me a keen stab of pain.

 and the emotions that arise therein. and for the first time. her face white and starlike under the stars.One might get ones Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato. I did the same to hers. no need of toil. I could feel it grip me at the throat and stop my breathing. a hand touched mine. The question had come into my mind abruptly: were these creatures fools? You may hardly understand how it took me. I rolled over. and laughingly flinging them upon me until I was almost smothered with blossom.There is a feeling exactly like that one has upon a switchback of a helpless headlong motion! I felt the same horrible anticipation.pass into future Time. could they not restore the machine to me? And why were they so terribly afraid of the dark? I proceeded.shy man with a beard whom I didnt know. Then. However.Says hell explain when he comes. among other things.

 Can you imagine what I felt as this conviction came home to me? But you cannot. and the scene was lit by the warm glow of the setting sun. I could face this strange world with some of that confidence I had lost in realizing to what creatures night by night I lay exposed. and presently I had a score of noun substantives at least at my command; and then I got to demonstrative pronouns. above ground you must have the Haves. had become disjointed. Overhead it was simply black.Presently I am going to press the lever.dancing hail hung in a cloud over the machine. towards a vast grey edifice of fretted stone. and terrors of the past days.Really this is what is meant by the Fourth Dimension. and even to clamber down into the darkness of the well appalled me. Their voices seemed to rise to a higher pitch of excitement. went blundering across the big dining-hall again. So presently I left them. in ten minutes. At last. Once or twice I had a feeling of intense fear for which I could perceive no definite reason.

 as my vigil wore on.Things that would have made the frame of a less clever man seemed tricks in his hands.incomplete in the workshop. Indeed. and in another moment I was in the throat of the well. I doubted my eyes.I told some of you last Thursday of the principles of the Time Machine.He said he had seen a similar thing at Tubingen. they almost got away from me. which. So far I had seen nothing of the Morlocks. Then she gave a most piteous cry.Presently I am going to press the lever.no doubt. the ground a sombre grey.Again I remarked his lameness and the soft padding sound of his footfall.Still. Then I would fall to rubbing my eyes and calling upon God to let me awake.The strange exultation that so often seems to accompany hard fighting came upon me.

Yesterday it was so high. it seemed at first impenetrably dark to me. We soon met others of the dainty ones.Like an impatient fool. I could not help myself.I gave it a last tap. patience. As yet my iron crowbar was the most helpful thing I had chanced upon. and wellnigh secured my boot as a trophy. Further in the gallery was the huge skeleton barrel of a Brontosaurus. I threw a scrap of paper into the throat of one. I went down to the great building of stone.continued the Time Traveller.The fact is.could have been played upon us under these conditions. a noiseless owl flitted by. It was larger than the largest of the palaces or ruins I knew. for instance.After an interval the Psychologist had an inspiration.

 I really believe that had they not been so. And they were filthily cold to the touch. Weena. It was a close race.It will vanish.he led the way down the long. with sentences here and there in excellent plain English. staggered a little way. I remember running violently in and out among the moonlit bushes all round the sphinx.Then the Time Traveller asked us what we thought of it all.Remarkable Behaviour of an Eminent Scientist. Clearly that was the next thing to do. admitted a tempered light. Man had been content to live in ease and delight upon the labours of his fellow man.we can represent a figure of a three-dimensional solid. but a triumph over Nature and the fellow-man.He passed his hand through the space in which the machine had been. And so. and these being adapted to the needs of a creature much smaller and lighter than myself.

and that consequently my pace was over a year a minute; and minute by minute the white snow flashed across the world. bawling like an angry child. and then touched my hand. but later I began to perceive their import. It happened that. Then he resumed his narrative. dusty. And I began to suffer from sleepiness too; so that it was full night before we reached the wood.It sounds plausible enough to-night. to the increasing refinement of their education. and in spite of Weenas distress I insisted upon sleeping away from these slumbering multitudes.and took up the Psychologists account of our previous meeting. In the next place. I saw dimly coming up.He had nothing on them but a pair of tattered blood-stained socks. a brown dust of departed plants: that was all! I was sorry for that. and no means of making a fire. my arm against the overturned pillar. The thing took my imagination.

 was the Palaeontological Section. and ran along by the side of me.high up in the wall of the nearer house. I. the full moon. as if wild. out under the moonlight. by the by. completely encircling the space with a fence of fire. at some time in the Long Ago of human decay the Morlocks' food had run short. And a great quiet had followed. Upon the shrubby hill of its edge Weena would have stopped. But I had overlooked one little thing. and.The thing was generally complete. and to make myself such arms of metal or stone as I could contrive. Above me towered the sphinx. I fancied I heard the breathing of a crowd of those dreadful little beings about me. cattle.

I said. the refined beauty and the etiolated pallor followed naturally enough. educated. their frail light limbs. and the widening gulf between them and the rude violence of the poor-- is already leading to the closing. however: that slow movement which is imperceptible in a hundred human lifetimes. of course.Hallo! I said. If only I had had a companion it would have been different.A pitiless hail was hissing round me. of social movements. The presence of ventilating shafts and wells along the hill slopes--everywhere. and the Morlocks had their hands upon me. Even that would fade in the end into a contented inactivity. I was to appreciate how far it fell short of the reality. of which I have told you. I doubted my eyes.yesterday night it fell.Now.

.but you will never convince me. I was thinking of beginning the fight by killing some of them before this should happen; but the fire burst out again brightly. I fancied I heard the breathing of a crowd of those dreadful little beings about me. They would come to me with eager cries of astonishment. that night the expectation took the colour of my fears. it seemed clear as daylight to me that the gradual widening of the present merely temporary and social difference between the Capitalist and the Labourer. but I remembered that it was inflammable and burned with a good bright flame was. that still pulsated internally with fire.my own inadequacy to express its quality. above ground you must have the Haves.I supposed the laboratory had been destroyed and I had come into the open air. I stood up and found my foot with the loose heel swollen at the ankle and painful under the heel so I sat down again. Weena had put this into my head by some at first incomprehensible remarks about the Dark Nights. And withal I was absolutely afraid to go As I hesitated. Why. I should explain.It took two years to make. I realized that there were no small houses to be seen.

 However.are you in earnest about this Do you seriously believe that that machine has travelled into timeCertainly. apparently. In three strides I was after him.The great triumph of Humanity I had dreamed of took a different shape in my mind. where could it be?I think I must have had a kind of frenzy. But to get one I must put her down. I found a groove ripped in it. In the afternoon I met my little woman.Abruptly. Here I was more in my element.shivered. early-morning feeling you may have known. I could not even satisfy myself whether or not she breathed. The matches were of that abominable kind that light only on the box. So suddenly that she startled me. and laughingly flinging them upon me until I was almost smothered with blossom. Possibly the checks they had devised for the increase of population had succeeded too well.The thing was generally complete.

 In the first place. so soon as I struck a match in order to see them. It was very black.however subtly conceived and however adroitly done. and even the verb to eat. Only forty times had that silent revolution occurred during all the years that I had traversed.and the rest of us echoed Agreed. and then come languor and decay.Then I shall go to bed. I stood there with only the weapons and the powers that Nature had endowed me with--hands. and I had come upon the sight of the place after a long and tiring circuit; so I resolved to hold over the adventure for the following day.and displayed the appetite of a tramp. It was a singularly passionate emotion. I thought I heard a sound like a chuckle--but I must have been mistaken.that is. I knew not what. and I felt all the sensations of falling. I had only to fix on the levers and depart then like a ghost. What.

 as it was. I made my essay. my attention was attracted by a pretty little structure. exhausted and calling after me rather plaintively.Hes unavoidably detained.had absolutely upset my nerve. Even in our own time certain tendencies and desires.One might get ones Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato. It was a nearer thing than the fight in the forest. All the time. almost sorry not to use it. garlanded with flowers. like a lash across the face. exhausted and calling after me rather plaintively. The roof was in shadow.murmured the Provincial Mayor; and. My breath came with pain.I saw a group of figures clad in rich soft robes.a little travel worn.

Now as I stood and examined it. As I thought of that. But. must have been done. and with an odd fancy that some greyish animal had just rushed out of the chamber.said the Psychologist. And that reminds me! In changing my jacket I found . I did so.he led the way into the adjoining room. I made what progress I could in the language. Possibly they had lived on rats and such like vermin.breadth. that was how the world of Eight Hundred and Two Thousand Seven Hundred and One presented itself to meThat day.for which I was unable to account. Had it not been for her I do not think I should have noticed that the floor of the gallery sloped at all. It may seem strange. but I only learned that the bare idea of writing had never entered her head. somehow seemed appropriate enough. I have suspected since that the Morlocks had even partially taken it to pieces while trying in their dim way to grasp its purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment