Tuesday, May 10, 2011

a stick to make a brush that swished the flies away.

 No one to come in at night from adventures
 No one to come in at night from adventures. I said. The gravel paths were moist and the grass was wet with dew. I said. below in the town. There was one smashed bridge across the river. It was not a pleasant trip to the dressing room and I did not know until later that beds could be made with men in them. gentlemen. The snow slanted across the wind. My God what would a man do with a woman like that except worship her What else is an Englishwoman good forYou are an ignorant foulmouthed dago. It was what I had wanted to do and I tried to explain how one thing had led to another and finally he saw it and understood that I had really wanted to go and it was almost all right. so I asked to see you.Im perfectly all right.

I think you do not know anything about being conquered and so you think it is not bad.Yes. Well.Why notNo. she said.No. You must have done something heroic either before or after. said the priest.It would be fine if you would take the cars. Some one probably got it at one of the dressing stations. She waved and I kissed my hand and held it out.He should have fine girls. Hes all right.

 schutzen stock. sucked and snapped in the ends. Ive seen the holes.I say its rotten. He could have had anything he wanted if I would have known.They want to eat. You could stay with my family. Sculpture had always seemed a dull businessstill. When there is really work they trust us.All right.Ill see you in a little while.We might sit there just for a little while.Im perfectly all right.

 I said. Hes dead. she said. A. said Rinaldi. she said. That made the bed damp and cool. Are you coming to nightNo.I did not understand the word. lieutenant! he shouted.At the start of the winter came the permanent rain and with the rain came the cholera. The officers all wore helmets; betterfitting helmets. I came back the next afternoon from our first mountain post and stopped the car at the smistimento where the wounded and sick were sorted by their papers and the papers marked for the different hospitals.

 sototenente (the thumb). How is your poor head I looked at your papers. baby. They all laughed. chemical smells and the sweet smell of blood. and then a drink of the wine.I thought it over.I dont believe it. Rinaldi said. I said.Its very hard. Mr. Every week some one gets wounded by rock fragments.

 Passini said. Sometimes all niceness gone and glad to get out on the street but always another day starting and then another night. Im learning it. But dont bring a lot of Italians. We went on and passed the regiment about a mile ahead. Now the fighting was in the next mountains beyond and was not a mile away. He patted Gordini on the shoulder. I made sure he was dead. Ill see the medical wallahs. I am just more affectionate.Of course they dont. Are you coming to nightNo. Im sorry for your head.

Im not drunk. Manera said. It would not finish it if one side stopped fighting. I was angry and yet certain. I was there and reading of it in the paper. I said.It wasnt that way with the granatieri. Or shot through the shoulder. The grappa was very strong. The fields were green and there were small green shoots on the vines. I came back the next afternoon from our first mountain post and stopped the car at the smistimento where the wounded and sick were sorted by their papers and the papers marked for the different hospitals.Shall we sit here or go out in the gardenLets go out. There are much worse wounded than me.

 Porta feriti I tried to get closer to Passini to try to put a tourniquet on the legs but I could not move. Where have you beenIve been out on post. Then I will take him with my first load. He held up the glass.Defeat is worse.Priest wants us never to attack. Then I thought of his puttees. a noise like a railway engine starting and then an explosion that shook the earth again. Rinaldi said. We go whorehouse before it shuts.Goodnight. Not Ba?chus. The road here was below the level of the river bank and all along the side of the sunken road there were holes dug in the bank with infantry in them.

 He offered me a glass of cognac. There was a cough. We passed a long column of loaded mules. I said. when they wouldnt attack and they shot every tenth manNo. In the dark I could not see where it came from the canvas overhead. the line of the river that separated the two armies.No Yes. Well. The other officers were amused at the baiting.It was dark outside and the long light from the search lights was moving over the mountains. Fillipo Vincenza. I said.

 My knee wasnt there. and tears came in my eyes from the reflex. I said. Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar. I love you. The priest accepted it as a joke. for you have sinned. I hope you feel better. What made it pretty was that it sounded like Island. tannic and lovely. The King was good but dull. My friend motioned for him to come in.Listen to him talk about the Abruzzi.

He poured two glasses and we touched them. It was half of the brigata Basilicata. He was walking with a limp. Dio te salve.Lift it high. biting his arm. I said. I said. and then there were mountains far off beyond all these that you could hardly tell if you really saw. she said.I felt his breath come toward me. He held up the glass. She would not let me put my arm around her.

 Then we saw a horse ambulance stopped by the road. I said.Kiss me.I wanted to do something for him. Will you have a cigaretteThanks. I saluted too but more moderately. I looked back and saw the three cars all climbing. I would like to eat at the Cova and then walk down the Via Manzoni in the hot evening and cross over and turn off along the canal and go to the hotel with Catherine Barkley. I sat in the high seat of the Fiat and thought about nothing. Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta. dont you It seemed it was a very funny joke if you understood it properly. You are my great and good friend and financial protector.She looked down at the grass.

 Ive come back to Catherine in the night.Sometimes in the dark we heard the troops marching under the window and guns going past pulled by motor-tractors. There are a few real wounded. Do you have to take me to that regimentYes. Its in the bulletin. Nothing to do. I watched the flashes on San Gabriele. He had to sign the proposition for the citation. Thats all I know.Look at the bump. They were very nice and we had a big evening. I said I hoped it would go well but that he was too kind. I held her close against me and could feel her heart beating and her lips opened and her head went back against my hand and then she was crying on my shoulder.

Do you like itVery much. I followed his hands with my eyes. He hoped the road would not jam. you see.I dont think it will hurt you. good luck and Vive la France. but it was not Catherine. Hes all right. Anybody may crack.Goodnight. but instead we had Ii Generale Cadorna. I could look down through the woods and see. I thought perhaps he couldnt stand it and then of course he was killed and that was the end of it.

 we are. Look at your valorous conduct in asking to go always to the first line. Manera finished. she said.Can Gordini driveI dont think so. There are much worse wounded than me. But I am telling it for our priest here.Do they ever shell that battery Tasked one of the mechanics. I didnt mean to hurt you.I looked in her eyes and put my arm around her as I had before and kissed her. to ride along the road across the plain and deliver the wounded at the two hospitals.Here is the corkscrew. My orderly had cut paper into strips and tied the strips to a stick to make a brush that swished the flies away.

No comments:

Post a Comment