Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I remembered where I was going.

 I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in
 I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in. I like him.Oughf. I felt I had a certain advantage. and well see.Kiss me.Dont bring Caruso. Why did you join up with the ItaliansI was in Italy. he said. There was one smashed bridge across the river. All alone at the war with no new girls. So were all on very special behavior. Some one took hold of me under the arms and somebody else lifted my legs.

 Passini said. and tears came in my eyes from the reflex. He had not felt bad but now the shoulder had stiffened. I never hurt anybody.The battery in the next garden woke me in the morning and I saw the sun coming through the window and got out of the bed. now this is the point of the story. Goodnight. Goodby. bulged forward under the capes so that the men. The afternoon was a quiet time. Hes a better man than I am. whether or not things were obtainable. While I rubbed myself with a towel I looked around the room and out the window and at Rinaldi lying with his eyes closed on the bed.

Passini shook his head. I said. stepping carefully among the wounded. Tell me exactly what happened.Do you suppose it will always go onNo. Yes. Yes. isnt heYes. There was one smashed bridge across the river. I undid the clasp of the gold chain and put it around my neck and clasped it. Hes a better man than I am. The river was low and there were stretches of sand and pebbles with a narrow channel of water and sometimes the water spread like a sheen over the pebbly bed. They were hospitals beyond the river.

 There is only one difference between taking a girl who has always been good and a woman.Outside something was set down beside the entrance.Did you ever read the Black Pig asked the lieutenant. You do me a translation and I will send it to The Lancet. where I sat with a friend and two glasses drinking a bottle of Asti.Pas encore. Stretcher bearers came in all the time. Every one at the table laughed. was my age. I had a very fine little show and Im all right now.I dried my hands and took out my pocketbook from the inside of my tunic hanging on the wall.So long. the trees along the road had small leaves and a breeze came from the sea.

 The King was good but dull. A little that way like the number of the first regiment of the Brigata Ancona.Youre sloppy. Driving in convoy is not unpleasant if you are the first car and I settled back in the seat and watched the country.Yes.Poor Rinaldi. The sun was going down and looking up along the bank as we drove I saw the Austrian observation balloons above the hills on the other side dark against the sunset.I will send Miss Barkley. But marble busts all looked like a cemetery.Yes. It was a hot night and there was a good deal going on up in the mountains. Come with me if you want. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends.

 He bandaged.When you come back bring a phonograph. gentlemen. They take your sisters.You think notNo. and tears came in my eyes from the reflex. With a girl it is painful.Three hundred fives. With a sabre cut. NapoliThats enough. Again the candlelight made its shadows on the wall. But marble busts all looked like a cemetery.There will be no more offensive now that the snow has come.

 I thought perhaps he couldnt stand it and then of course he was killed and that was the end of it. Are they going to have an offensiveYes. I had been driving and I sat in the car and the driver took the papers in. I would take you and never hurt you. where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting. Ill look up their adjutant to do your papers and it will all go much faster. There were racks of rockets standing to be touched off to call for help from the artillery or to signal with if the telephone wires were cut. and of which I had never heard. Suddenly to care very much and to sleep to wake with it sometimes morning and all that had been there gone and everything sharp and hard and clear and sometimes a dispute about the cost. coming down. opened it. I remember having a silly idea he might come to the hospital where I was.I looked back and saw her standing on the steps.

 We are mechanics. He loved being a surgeon and we were great friends.Not even for the beautiful languageNo. I said. as when a blast furnace door is swung open. the line of the river that separated the two armies. The system was to bring everything down the new road and take the empty trucks. Ive come back to Catherine in the night. Sculpture had always seemed a dull businessstill.You are crazy. There are people who are afraid of their officers. We passed a long column of loaded mules. the water blue like the sky.

 Theres no work now. the line of ties and rails running along it. He was the Kings uncle and commanded the third army.The Pope wants the Austrians to win the war. You take it. Tenente. In a moment the blanket in front of the dressing station opened and two stretcherbearers came out followed by the tall Englishman. Her hand had hit my nose and eyes. you met British men and sometimes women. she said. but instead we had Ii Generale Cadorna. you have come back. there was snow on the guns and there were paths in the snow going back to the latrines behind trenches.

 Goodnight. There were mists over the river and clouds on the mountain and the trucks splashed mud on the road and the troops were muddy and wet in their capes their rifles were wet and under their capes the two leather cartridge-boxes on the front of the belts.I would like to go with you and show you things. Are you badly hitIn the leg. The others were shouting.In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the river and the plain to the mountains. The door was open. Passini said respectfully. They splashed more mud than the camions even and if one of the officers in the back was very small and sitting between two generals. I dont mind at all. Tenente Can I help in any way He was the quietest one of the four.All right. Inside they were operating on all the tables.

 and the strange excitement of waking and not knowing who it was with you.A big shell came in and burst outside in the brickyard. Naples.Have you ever loved any oneNo. We were supposed to wear steel helmets even in Gorizia but they were uncomfortable and too bloody theatrical in a town where the civilian inhabitants had not been evacuated. My friend saw the priest from our mess going by in the street.Its better to wear him. And you will come and see meOf course. Good by. But I thought it would be bad for him.That doesnt matter. the lieutenant said.Oh.

 said the priest. Where it had run down under my shirt it was warm and sticky. It tasted of rusty metal. Manera said. I dressed.I was very dusty and dirty and went up to my room to wash. Then I made out my report in my room. his hands moving very fast and the bandage coming taut and sure.Ill take the American Tenente. and good news. I kept my arm where it was. The dressing station was on the Austrian side of the river under the edge of the hill and stretcherbearers would bring the wounded back across the pontoon bridge. Rinaldi saluted.

 I dont go there any more.Outside we ran across the brickyard. The shutters were up but it was still going on inside.You dont go at allI just go to see if there is anything new. Maybe the Austrians would crack. What kind of time did you haveMagnificent.Priest not with girls.There were small gray motor cars that passed going very fast usually there was an officer on the seat with the driver and more officers in the back seat. thats different. The posts for the cars would have to be as near the river as they could get and keep covered.I drank the cognac and felt it warm all the way down. Firenze. I think the heat knocked me over yesterday.

 selfinflicted wounds. Baby is puzzled. Well.Bring him in.What rotten luck. I said. Miss Barkley prefers you to me.What about eating. Goodby. said Rinaldi. youre very good.They come after you. you know.

We sat down on a bench and I looked at her. We read. said the priest.Hes an American.It could not be worse. Come with me if you want. Why dont we stop fighting If they come down into Italy they will get tired and go away. he himself so small that you could not see his face but only the top of his cap and his narrow back. When this road was finished the offensive would start. Now they try to forget it. You were liable to arrest if you did not have one worn in plain sight. This machine is no good but the others march. I remembered where I was going.

No comments:

Post a Comment