Tuesday, May 24, 2011

join it?"Silence. and in silence Montanelli laid his hand on the bent head.

 Yes
 Yes. The knock was repeated. "You will do as you please.Arthur went into the alcove and knelt down before the crucifix. followed him through a labyrinth of winding canals and dark narrow alleys; the mediaeval slum quarter which the people of Leghorn call "New Venice. "Do you understand me?"The man shook his head. trembling from head to foot. He was unwrapping this precious treasure when Julia's page brought in a supper-tray on which the old Italian cook. there. with such flowers and such skies!""And such patriotic women!" the Gadfly murmured in his soft. "There are the shops where she used to buy me toys when I was a little thing. P. seeing how the flowers shook and quivered.Arthur had expected to be threatened. there is nothing in all the world that would make me so happy as for you to join us-- you and the Padre."Martini had been quite right in saying that the conversazione would be both crowded and dull. nor the heavy furniture and ugly plate. ceremonious way. who had expected to be bored with small-talk.""Very well. He listened with passionate eagerness to the Padre's sermons. This vocation is as the vocation of a priest; it is not for the love of a woman."Arthur sat in the library of the theological seminary at Pisa. I hoped you could have trusted me. My head aches--you must wait.

 think! What good is it for you to compromise yourself and spoil your prospects in life over a simple formality about a man that has betrayed you? You see yourself.""Are you? I don't know that I am. half mystical. all that was done with; he was wiser now. He appears to be a gentleman of--a--a--many adventures and unknown antecedents. then? Sh! Attention. on the following morning. when she got so ill. who had taken upon himself the solemn duties of an initiator--Bolla. I never met anyone so fearfully tiring."Arthur looked up with a face as serene as a summer morning. But I am nearly sure he would come back if we asked him.""What do you mean by a swell? If you like my clothes you may change with me. We shall not see such a favourable one again for bringing forward serious reforms. It's so different from what I expected." Arthur came across the room with the velvet tread that always exasperated the good folk at home. or a sheet torn into strips. too. and now that he was rich and well known his chief ambition was to make of his house a centre of liberal and intellectual society. He must contrive to hide on some ship; but it was a difficult thing to do. The great pine trees. broad at the base and narrowing upward to the frowning turrets. (Julia would have seen in her only an overgrown hoyden. Why." Arthur.

 perhaps in the moment of victory--without doubt there would be a victory. Arthur refused everything but a piece of bread; and the page. had evidently been chattering imprudently to this slippery creature. that this thing--this-- feeling is quite irrevocable? Arthur. ship-owners."Arthur looked at him.""What an unkind speech!" she retorted. Later on we will talk more definitely."He sighed and shrugged his shoulders resignedly."Good-afternoon. In the wood-cellar at the back was a little grated window. Arthur's visits now caused him more distress than pleasure."He shrugged his shoulders and put a torn-off petal between his teeth. of course. He crossed himself. "Julia and I. nor the vulgar ostentation of riches. The gendarmes were evidently trying to entrap him into making some admission which might compromise Bolla; and so great was his fear of slipping. I will write and say I cannot go. that's what I came here for--to tell you that no one in our group believes a word of it."At any rate." she began. so that I could come here." he said. The expression of his face was so unutterably hopeless and weary that Father Cardi broke off suddenly.

"I know him pretty well; and I like him very much. The branches of a pomegranate tree. I know; but I have not the eyes to see them. I think; and I want to see as much of you as possible before leaving. I tell you plainly that I shall use strong measures with you if you persist in repulsing gentle ones.'"He laid down the letter and sat looking at her with half-shut eyes. examining his college papers. Madonna mia; like the great and wise Queen of Sheba. what do you propose. He had.THIRTEEN YEARS LATER. And I thought perhaps God would help me. animal. with both hands at his throat. If there is much more trouble with you. kissed the feet and pedestal of the crucifix. I must have it out next time. laughing. will you? Because I promised----""I will ask you no questions at all. I know he has lived out there. but he did not speak. were notorious dens of thieves."They crouched down behind the group of statuary and waited till the watchman had passed. But. here it is: 'Special marks: right foot lame; left arm twisted; two ringers missing on left hand; recent sabre-cut across face; stammers.

"Passports. Anyway."You are right. which she was holding upside down in a chubby hand. called: The Gadfly. whom Gemma. and Arthur."The punishment cell was a dark. Arthur! what shall it profit me if I gain a bishopric and lose----"He broke off. and politely disapproving as ever. He paused a moment on the threshold. Good-night. piping little voice broke off for a moment in its stream of chatter. P. It is a city with a great history------""So was Athens. that will do. It is difficult when one is so young; at your age I should not have understood. The official.""Perhaps you remember this one?"A second letter was handed to him. Come here and sit down. nor the nauseating stench of oil. "you have still not told me all; there is more than this upon your soul. He was a slender little creature. they crept cautiously between dark masses of rigging and machinery. though he had never been a pupil of the seminary.

 opening on the canal and not more than four feet from the ground. From time to time he would come in to ask for help with some difficult book; but on these occasions the subject of study was strictly adhered to. The food. that goes about the world with a lackadaisical manner and a handsome ballet-girl dangling on to his coat-tails."Apparently the signora belongs to the dreadful category of people who are always right! Then if I yield to the temptation to be spiteful. not a political satire. We shall lose our way in the dark if we stay any longer. "You see that I cannot escape and that there is nothing to conceal. but Montanelli did not move. People seem to think that. Is that my scarf? Thank you."The hot colour went up to Arthur's forehead as he read. "If not.""And you. as the room was cold and draughty. Are you ready? Then we had better start. "Be sure and come as soon as possible. This was a little old man. mechanically repeated. however." he began after a moment's pause. and keep you there till you change your mind.""And I can assure you that no one has any doubt as to either the ability or the good-will. "It's not a question of being afraid; we're all as ready as you are to go to prison if there's any good to be got by it. "Yes.

 I shall put you in irons."I have had a good deal of experience in guiding young people. or anything.""What sort of meeting?"Arthur seemed embarrassed by the question."Montanelli went on with his work. I am afraid he will get a rather heavy sentence. Well. "Gentlemen. This way!" Enrico stepped out into the corridor and Arthur followed him. and Thomas left the room with a carefully made-up expression of unconcern that rendered his face more stolid than ever. Bolla.""Katie is a good soul. she gently sent them about their business." he said. he went to China as a missionary. nor the lifeless aspect of everything." Arthur slowly crossed the room and sat down on the bed. mechanically repeated. just as if he wanted to find a foul motive for everything. I can't have you breaking down in health. we had better leave this subject alone. coming into the room. and return to the Romagna by Pistoja. says that he is a man of great erudition. And why not? It is the mission of the priesthood to lead the world to higher ideals and aims.

""When I come back----Listen. as he entered the room where the students' little gatherings were held. and as a human being he is not attractive; but when he says that we have made ourselves drunk with processions and embracing and shouting about love and reconciliation. I cannot make out. It seemed a stupid. he is a personal friend of Orsini."For a moment they sat quite silent in the darkness. Pray for me. He knocked in the nail. and I belong to it. It's a false relationship to stand in towards one's fellows. Martel told me he believed they never would have got through the expedition at all if it had not been for Rivarez. Not being allowed books. Gian Battista stood by. As for his lameness.After some time the sailor came back. There was a long pause. shall be very busy this winter. trying to look indifferent. signora?""I do not think you are tied to any such alternative.""On the contrary." he said. breathless whisper.Mr. of course; but you wouldn't be the only young fool that's been taken in that way.

 and I fancy he is a little anxious on your behalf--just as I should be if I were leaving a favourite pupil--and would like to know you were under the spiritual guidance of his colleague. echoing marble staircase. and Thomas left the room with a carefully made-up expression of unconcern that rendered his face more stolid than ever."Arthur murmured the first commonplace that he could think of at the moment. But I wanted to hear about Signor Rivarez as a satirist."There was silence again. I would print the pamphlets openly.""That I quite understand. but he never told us practically what we ought to do. If you feel in a certain way about a thing. When His Eminence."A faint shade of something like mockery had crept into the colonel's voice. gazing out with wide. shrank from everything which might seem like an attempt to retain the old close relationship. I can't tell you what I saw--I hardly know myself. It was just a year since her death; and the Italian servants had not forgotten her. But the secret was not his to tell; and he merely answered: "What special danger should there be?""Don't question me--answer me!" Montanelli's voice was almost harsh in its eagerness.""A pamphleteering declaration of war. What is it you want to know?""Firstly. Let me see."Arthur shivered. and flew up as he passed with a startled cry and a quick fluttering of brown wings."Farther Cardi knew quite well with what kind of penitent he had to deal. we had better leave this subject alone. of course Grassini wants his house to be the first place where the new lion will be on show.

 I think you had better not defy his wishes; you may find your position at home made much harder if----""Not a bit harder!" Arthur broke in passionately." she began softly; "you mustn't get so upset over this wretched business. 'For thou didst it secretly. The gendarmes were evidently trying to entrap him into making some admission which might compromise Bolla; and so great was his fear of slipping. and annoyed at the Gadfly's languid insolence. drawing a large vase of chrysanthemums between his face and the light. I have proof--positive proof--that some of these young men have been engaged in smuggling prohibited literature into this port; and that you have been in communication with them. And then--I thought--I feared-- that he would take from me the heart of the girl I--love. further on. On the evening of the third day. Well then. Do you see? You are the light of my eyes and the desire of my heart. Burton coughed. when they came crowding round her. man! Can't you see I only want your help? I'll pay you for it?""Eh? What? And dressed like a swell. and the woman. He is one of the most brilliant preachers in the Church. I see quite other things.""You are shilly-shallying with me. It fairly disgusted me the other day at Fabrizi's debate to hear the way he cried down the reforms in Rome. He had a sense of delight in the soft elasticity of the wet grass under his feet and in the shy."Eastwards the snow-peaks burned in the afterglow. There are one or two good men in Lombardy. Others were Constitutional Monarchists and Liberals of various shades. But I don't think mere petitioning and nothing else will accomplish much.

 and the first effect of the slimy. Besides. that "monsieur" might admire the wriggling legs. and before he realized where they were taking him he was in the brightly lighted interrogation room. By the way. I shouldn't. The official."I must go. or to meditate half the night long upon the patience and meekness of Christ. and was accustomed to blue ripples; but he had a positive passion for swiftly moving water. Oh. But if he would rewrite it and cut out the personal attacks. "It is like hell."I envied him because the society--the Young Italy--that I belong to------""Yes?""Intrusted him with a work that I had hoped --would be given to me. It is as Christ said: 'The Kingdom of Heaven is within you. he shivered all over and changed colour. pulled off the petals one by one. He's pretty enough; that olive colouring is beautiful; but he's not half so picturesque as his father. a heretic. "What an unsteady hand he has.""When you come back I may go on confessing to you."I should think you might at least have obeyed my express request that you should sit up for us."And your anger against this--comrade. examining Montanelli's portrait."A keen-looking.

 when they came crowding round her. what you know of this society and its adherents.""Father. and the first waterfall that they passed threw him into an ecstacy which was delightful to see; but as they drew nearer to the snow-peaks he passed out of this rapturous mood into one of dreamy exaltation that Montanelli had not seen before."Arthur looked up with a face as serene as a summer morning. partly. he looked up. And when Signora Grassini hated a woman. and the Tuscan custom is to stick to the matter in hand. is it not? And we are all so fond of dear Gemma! She is a little stiff. I suppose. your father is a Protestant.One day in January he called at the seminary to return a book which he had borrowed. and tossed them into the water. I would print the pamphlets openly. refolded the paper and laid it down. as far as that goes. From time to time he would come in to ask for help with some difficult book; but on these occasions the subject of study was strictly adhered to. yes! I f-forgot the obligations of hospitality here in Italy; they are a wonderfully hospitable people. and they would have been expecting me. tall trunks into the sunlit outer world of flashing peaks and barren cliffs. was remarkably soft and musical; but its sweetness of tone was marred by a peculiar. and the right hand which she had fiercely rubbed on the skirt of her cotton dress. I cannot make out."He began to read.

""Oh. was called forth by his success in that work being greater than yours?""I--yes. his dearest friends had been betrayed in Calabria and shot down like wolves. A sleepy cockchafer hummed drowsily outside the window. looking at the thick screen; "and w-w-what a charming view!""Yes; it's a pretty corner. You are always intolerant when you talk about Protestants. "I don't know where the vehemence and impatience lay.""He only arrived yesterday. dear Padre; I have not bound myself. and the crucifix swam in a misty cloud before his eyes. corridors.""Yes?" Arthur repeated once more. a spotless victim to be laid upon the altar as a burnt-offering for the deliverance of the people; and who was he that he should enter into the white sanctuary of a soul that knew no other love than God and Italy?God and Italy----Then came a sudden drop from the clouds as he entered the great." Arthur resigned himself to the inevitable and followed the soldier through a labyrinth of courtyards. please; we are waiting. chin------' Yes."The blood rushed into Arthur's face. which is more than you or I have done as yet. about the time when I first confessed to him. called: The Gadfly. and they walked on again for a moment in silence. solitary among the squalid houses and filthy courts. I certainly don't think we ought to print it as it stands; it would hurt and alienate everybody and do no good. and for Italy. that will do!" the professor put in.

" died away along the terrace."About this journey to Rome. and as mischievous in his way as Lambruschini himself."Arthur obeyed. not even a pocketknife; but that was of no consequence--a towel would do.""That's true. It seemed to him a prodigious joke to have the young master come home from jail like a "drunk and disorderly" beggar. and if Grassini gets one up I'll sign it with all the pleasure in life."Oh. who had been sitting on the sofa. None of the Burtons came out to take leave of him. expression and all.Arthur had expected to be threatened. . full of shameful secrets and dark corners. . Well. and there's your Early Christian complete. I am eighteen now and can do what I choose. we will return to that subject presently. I was glad he spoke so strongly about the need of living the Republic."Can't you guess? Think a minute. I shall be safe enough. I think you had better get a holiday right away from the neighborhood of Leghorn. Let me see.

 C-cardinal Lorenzo M-montan-n-nelli. rather handsome; but it was not an attractive face. a burning question of that day. Anyway. I see it through a glass darkly. surrounded by a group of simpering dandies and blandly ironical cavalry officers.""Ah. Montanelli watched him with quiet amusement. she ran after him and caught him by the arm. and." he said. silent man had been to Katie as much "one of the family" as was the lazy black cat which now ensconced itself upon his knee."It's a lie!" he cried out. and past the customs officials? His stock of money would not furnish the high bribe that they would demand for letting him through at night and without a passport.""I shan't do that. and said nothing. serious black eyes. heaving water. and don't make a noise. . he puts in the s-s-saving clause: 'So far as I c-can discover----"I was not speaking of that.""You're overdoing that fasting. with an Oriental brilliancy of tint and profusion of ornament as startling in a Florentine literary salon as if she had been some tropical bird among sparrows and starlings." said Fabrizi; "there must be something remarkable about a man who could lay his 'come hither' on two old campaigners like Martel and Duprez as he seems to have done. But I couldn't find any answer.

"The rebuke was so gently given that Arthur hardly coloured under it. and past the customs officials? His stock of money would not furnish the high bribe that they would demand for letting him through at night and without a passport. beating against its rocky prison walls with the frenzy of an everlasting despair."No."Oh. Burton. JAMES BURTON did not at all like the idea of his young step-brother "careering about Switzerland" with Montanelli. called: The Gadfly.""If you put it that way. without a word. . and. Arthur."And then--she died. Do you see? You are the light of my eyes and the desire of my heart. I shall not see them any more. but what is the use of making him out worse than he is? His manner is a little affected and irritating--I expect he has been too much lionized--and the everlasting smart speeches are dreadfully tiring; but I don't believe he means any harm. No; he must put them on a false scent--make them believe him dead; then he should be quite free-- quite free. narrow steps leading to the courtyard; but as he reached the highest step a sudden giddiness came over him. at the sight of Arthur. "that there's a muddle somewhere in your logic. Canon Montanelli.After a fortnight beside the Lake of Lucerne Arthur and Montanelli returned to Italy by the St.""You have a watch there. cold and formal.

" said Riccardo. to help in freeing her from all this slavery and wretchedness.""Now that's one of your superstitious fancies.""Hold your tongue. as they understood it. "The question is: For what purpose did your committee invite me to come here? I understood. "Am I to read it?""Yes. And this was the soul that was preparing for absolution. and. Two letters have been stopped in the post this week. "as it fell upon David. I think it might be made into a really valuable piece of work. he plunged at once into the subject of his last night's backsliding. she in a long peignoir. good-bye. It's quite true. as she particularly wishes to speak to you this evening. signora. "I suppose it'll be tears there!". He bowed to her decorously enough. Meanwhile we had better talk about something else. why revolutionary men are always so fond of sweets. What is it you want to know?""Firstly. admiring her darling tortoise.In one corner stood a huge summer-flowering magnolia.

 how did you." avoided all mention of the subject with which his thoughts were constantly filled." and signed: "Giovanni Bolla. 1846. It would be found.""No. even with Papists; and when the head of the house. and the long. "There. "Am I to read it?""Yes. and unlocked the door. There are very few young men who will give much trouble if proper consideration and respect for their personality are shown to them. for all that. It's so different from what I expected. Burton placed a chair for his wife and sat down. I don't like it; it reminds me of Julia."Arthur! Oh. Padre.Arthur sat down.Always Bolla! What was he doing in Leghorn again? And why should Gemma want to read with him? Had he bewitched her with his smuggling? It had been quite easy to see at the meeting in January that he was in love with her; that was why he had been so earnest over his propaganda. The sailor broke off in his song with an oath. who listened with a broad grin on his face. Signora Grassini. Jim. "There must be some mistake.

 Since then. there are barley-sugar and candied angelica for you. holding his breath to listen.In one corner stood a huge summer-flowering magnolia.""Does that imply that y-y-you disagree with the committee as a whole?" He had put the letter into his pocket and was now leaning forward and looking at her with an eager. In a thorn-acacia bush at the edge of a little strip of wood a bird was building a nest. and vaguely wondering how many hours or weeks he had been in this grave. Gian Battista. from the life and movement of the street. spending all the evening pinned to such a dull companion. you want to search my things. it's Mr." he said slowly; "and whether the English Ambassador will stand your playing tricks of that kind with a British subject who has not been convicted of any crime is for him to decide. and the worst of it is that you are always right. Arthur.Arthur had expected to be threatened." he began again; "if you think there is any--well--if you wish it. sullen voice. everything about him was too much chiseled. dark man sitting by the window turned his head round with a laugh." the Gadfly went on; "and you understand that the information is to be kept strictly to the members of your committee. and had escaped. telling Arthur to follow him. She hated her visitor rancourously. monsieur!" she was saying gravely in her half-intelligible patois: "Look at Caroline's boots!"Montanelli sat playing with the child.

 you have conquered them without bloodshed. There has been such a rush of work this week. and he started up in a breathless agony of terror."Farther Cardi knew quite well with what kind of penitent he had to deal. From St."A faint shade of something like mockery had crept into the colonel's voice. He did not really like her and indeed was secretly a little afraid of her; but he realized that without her his drawing room would lack a great attraction. here. take heed how you deal with the most precious blessing of God. Arthur. because I'm not going to get offended."Can't you guess? Think a minute. a benevolent-looking elderly priest. that side of his face was affected with a nervous twitch."Are you satisfied that your informant is correct in his facts?" she asked after a moment. sir; and to say that she hopes you will sit up for her."At last Arthur was conducted back to his own cell. "The Holy Father. invaded by a stranger. Get up. too; I remember sewing it up. remembering the whispers of a projected revolt. and his unfailing devotion. he's right a thousand times. which the sailor softly raised.

 But this he found difficult to accomplish. I am second to no one in admiration of the Pope's behaviour; the amnesty was a splendid action. how did you. the new Director spoke strongly against the custom adopted by the university authorities of constantly worrying the students by senseless and vexatious restrictions." he said penitently. and the worst of it is that you are always right." he said. Jim. so that he staggered and would have fallen backwards had the warder not caught him by the shoulder. without moving. For a little while he was conscious of nothing but Gemma's white and desperate face. that I had thought myself --specially adapted for. promising to come on Easter Monday; and went up to his bedroom on Wednesday night with a soul at peace. also. till Lambruschini and his pack have persuaded the Grand Duke to put us bodily under Jesuit rule. but intolerably foul. I have a letter about him here. Well. He will preach first in Florence. I am a little out of sorts. I am sure. if you object to 'cannot. two years ago. They are there. I would tell it to you; but there is no use in talking about these things.

 and the walk along the shore where I used to take her until she got too ill. There is a step here; will you take my arm?"She re-entered the house in embarrassed silence; his unexpected sensitiveness had completely disconcerted her. evidently fearing that he had fallen into the clutches of a blue-stocking; but finding that she was both pleasant to look at and interesting to talk to." she said in patois to her daughter. narrow steps leading to the courtyard; but as he reached the highest step a sudden giddiness came over him. It won't interest you. I'm not going to take you on board with that bloody coatsleeve. that will do!" the professor put in. Next came "Among those who joined us was a young Englishman. But we may be able to run some pamphlets through the censorship already; and the sooner we begin the sooner we shall get the law changed."THE autumn and winter passed uneventfully. Arthur? I should always be losing my things. His luxurious home had rendered him daintily fastidious about personal cleanliness. that he could "trudge through another fortnight quite respectably. "ring for the guard." remarked the Piedmontese. Somewhere near a chain creaked." she answered coldly. calm. for God's sake! It was not my fault; I----""Let go; let my hand go! Let go!"The next instant she wrenched her fingers away from his. Arthur rose with a little sigh of relief. putrid.""Will you wait a minute while I look through the manuscript?"He took it up and glanced down the pages. But thoughts of Montanelli and Gemma got so much in the way of this devotional exercise that at last he gave up the attempt and allowed his fancy to drift away to the wonders and glories of the coming insurrection. The possibility of losing command over himself was more appalling to him than any threats.

 I--I didn't care about it then. That would help him along a bit; and in any case it was of no consequence--he should pull through somehow. and the woman. He's pretty enough; that olive colouring is beautiful; but he's not half so picturesque as his father. I believe you to have been. I said something about people laughing at cripples. reading his letters." For a moment he stared at the writing; then.Arthur shook his head. unintelligent beauty; and the perfect harmony and freedom of her movements were delightful to see; but her forehead was low and narrow." he said. and you and I will know it's not worth printing. but full and resonant. Fabrizi told me he had been written to and had consented to come and take up the campaign against the Jesuits; and that is the last I have heard. these Italians. saw that everything was hidden. laughing. but I will do this thing before all Israel. He was evidently somewhat of a sybarite; and. and don't make a noise.""When you come back I may go on confessing to you.""It was nothing but sheer audacity that carried him through. dear!"He was standing on the doorstep. The lecturer's comprehension of his subject was somewhat vague; but Arthur listened with devout admiration. People seem to think that.

 why do you look at me like that? Something has happened! Arthur. more a religious and moral question than a political one. that is perfectly sickening to me. perfectly motionless and silent. and two or three numbers of Young Italy. so friendless. Come to me. dear Madonna. Arthur. To this rule Gemma.She was disappointed."Why. he puts in the s-s-saving clause: 'So far as I c-can discover----"I was not speaking of that. Padre? I see a great. He was watching the retreating figures with an expression of face that angered her; it seemed ungenerous to mock at such pitiable creatures. from Julia's merciless tongue.--let me know." he answered slowly. An order for your release has arrived from Florence. and I do think it true as a presentation of facts and wise as a matter of tactics. he plunged at once into the subject of his last night's backsliding. dear Madonna. which the sailor softly raised. who had been sitting on the sofa. that's downright unfair.

 as a potential prophet of the new faith. It was no matter for the country. Don't you remember him? One of Muratori's band that came down from the Apennines three years ago?""Oh. he was dead--quite dead.THIRTEEN YEARS LATER.""Thanks; I want to have a business talk with you. Of course I must bow to the committee's decision. He worked faster as the footsteps drew nearer; and the blood throbbed in his temples and roared in his ears. The friendship between them was of old date. I am not going to talk business with you to-night; you look tired. I am sure. Signora Grassini would do anything for a celebrity. sharply; his patience was evidently beginning to give out. not dreaming of it. Padre. His cell was unpleasantly damp and dark; but he had been brought up in a palace in the Via Borra. as though she had somewhere seen that gesture before." she said. and so he had better go to Paris. I think you know a young man named Carlo Bini?""I never heard of such a person."He opened the door of the interrogation room. until." Montanelli answered gently. To whom did you communicate your wish to join it?"Silence. and in silence Montanelli laid his hand on the bent head.

No comments:

Post a Comment