Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I could look down through the woods and see.

Oh
Oh. the window open and the sunlight coming into the room.Did they scare you. That should handle them.Good Christ I said.I washed. These V. Shell be off then. Maybe the Austrians would crack. you know. I must do something about getting you out of here. He paused and thought. Here at the brickyard we were sheltered from rifle or machine gun fire by the river bank.

 Thats over for the evening.Thank God I did not become involved with the British. She was crying. Then there was one that we did not hear coming until the sudden rush. In a moment the blanket in front of the dressing station opened and two stretcherbearers came out followed by the tall Englishman. Its beautiful language. It would not finish it if one side stopped fighting. I breathed and I was back. I will probably marry Miss Barkley. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you. What kind of time did you haveMagnificent.Come on. Halfway through the wine I did not want any more.

Oh. I opened the capsule and spilled him out into my hand. Rinaldi took the note.Cough. Ahead there was a rounded turn off in the road to the right and looking down I could see the road dropping through the trees. Now I must go back to sleep to be fresh and beautiful for Miss Barkley. and in the fall when the rains came the leaves all fell from the chestnut trees and the branches were bare and the trunks black with rain. Alpini would.Four hundred twenty or minnenwerfer. To the north we could look across a valley and see a forest of chestnut trees and behind it another mountain on this side of the river. I feigned acquaintance.They are brave and have good discipline. Tell me about Gorizia.

 seeing it all ahead like the moves in a chess game. he said.You were sweet to tell me.They cant hang every one. Another night when you feel stronger. The gravel paths were moist and the grass was wet with dew. Drink that. No. You would like the people and though it is cold it is clear and dry. Macedonias. I said. Here at the brickyard we were sheltered from rifle or machine gun fire by the river bank. looking out at the snow falling slowly and heavily.

 Rinaldi carried a holster stuffed with toilet paper. Please. really. TenenteWhere is Gordini and GavuzziGordinis at the post getting bandaged.What forBecause you are gravely wounded.A rivederci. I knew I would not be killed. marched as though they were six months gone with child. It came very fast and the sun went a dull yellow and then everything was gray and the sky was covered and the cloud came on down the mountain and suddenly we were in it and it was snow. its smooth surface covered with brick dust.Where have you beenAt the Villa Rossa. One side must stop fighting. He started the car.

 Those of us that were awake talked across the ward.Who goes to the attack asked Gavuzzi.There arent enough troops here for a real attack. was my age. This was a joke.Ill walk down with you. Now everything is arranged. Two men were lifting the hernia man to put him in. You do me a translation and I will send it to The Lancet. Then I forgot about him. cartridges. said the priest. This captain baited him often.

Slit the tunic. His right hand left the wheel and opened a button on his tunic and pulled it out from under his shirt. Then I floated. I like the simpler pleasures. Your friend is a doctor. he said. Hang onto my neck. the fighting in the mountains beyond the town. I said.I dont know. It is a disgrace that they should stay so long that they become friends. I said. Stop it.

Go to hell. so I asked to see you. poured out into the glass held with the same hand; after this course. And I never even talk English.No. and. I practised with it. I thought I was coming back. We sat on the ground with our backs against the wall and smoked.Better not drink too much brandy then.The granatieri are tall. it couldnt all go on. Then I floated.

 didnt youYes. The attack would cross the river up above the narrow gorge and spread up the hillside. Where did you go and what did you do Tell me everything at once. he said to me.Rinaldi poured himself another glass of the cognac. They took off my trousers and the medical captain commenced dictating to the sergeant adjutant while he worked. or else using a continuous lift and sucking into the mouth. Its a Saint Anthony. You are my great and good friend and financial protector.Fine. She would not let me put my arm around her. Then the stretcher bearers took the man off the table. She would not let me put my arm around her.

I have to get washed and report. the major said to the two stretcher bearers.How is he the Englishman called back. Did you think I was Italian There were some Italians with one of our units. Im all right. long 6. I said.It was dark outside and the long light from the search lights was moving over the mountains. Some looked pretty bad.. Tell me. its smooth surface covered with brick dust. I will.

 Drink that.They talked too much at the mess and I drank wine because tonight we were not all brothers unless I drank a little and talked with the priest about Archbishop Ireland who was. You are a frozenfaced . While I rubbed myself with a towel I looked around the room and out the window and at Rinaldi lying with his eyes closed on the bed. Five stars. Did you do any heroic actNo. the lieutenant said. We drove slowly in this matting covered tunnel and came out onto a bare cleared space where the railway station had been. and then I heard close to me some one saying Mama Mia Oh. Troops went by the house and down the road and the dust they raised powdered the leaves of the trees. You go away sototenente! You come back sotocolonello! They all laughed. Ill look up their adjutant to do your papers and it will all go much faster.Have you ever loved any oneNo.

 I will write you cards to my family in Amalfi. I said to the priest.No. then choking.Why notThey dont trust us when theres nothing going on. Its not a wound.Good evening. Something picturesque. You must have done something heroic either before or after.Ah. It tells you about those priests.Better not drink too much brandy then.You dont believe me We will go now this afternoon and see.

Here is the American Tenente. I knew. Manera finished.It wasnt that way with the granatieri. He talks French. They wouldnt attack. I will get you a copy. he said. I think not.Here is the corkscrew. Gavuzzi has your legs.No. It is a successful coup de main.

 and pounded on the window to attract his attention. on the street. he said to me. baby.Tonight you will tell me everything. said the lieutenant. Its good. How is your headGood Christ I said. He stopped and sat down beside the road. loosely packed cigarettes that spilled tobacco and needed to have the ends twisted before you smoked them. Dont you want us never to attackNo. I would go crazy. and pounded on the window to attract his attention.

 Uninformed. Catherine. I said. Listen. There was a cough. You will be decorated. My legs felt warm and wet and my shoes were wet and warm inside.But Scotland is England.He poured two glasses and we touched them. I had it in the car. Some one took hold of me under the arms and somebody else lifted my legs. didnt IShe was looking at me in the dark. I could look down through the woods and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment