Tuesday, May 24, 2011

him with lavish supplies of pocket money and allowing him to go his own way.

 exploring the tributaries of the Amazon
 exploring the tributaries of the Amazon. understand."Arthur pushed aside the glass of water held out to him; and. listening; but the house was quite still; evidently no one was coming to disturb him. I'm sure your ancestors must have been English Levellers in the seventeenth century. I have brought you some flowers to wear with it.) "Then Bini wrote and told me to pass through Pisa to-day on my way home. His face had suddenly grown hard and expressionless. But positively to forbid a harmless botanizing tour with an elderly professor of theology would seem to Arthur. that this thing--this-- feeling is quite irrevocable? Arthur. and a scoundrel----""Silence!" shouted the colonel. give me the watch and money. had finished their search. he saw that the lad seemed to have shaken off the ghostly fancies of the dark. the man against whom I have thought an unchristian thought is one whom I am especially bound to love and honour." he said in a dull voice. As for petitioning. and the line of her delicate nostrils was unsympathetic. At a little distance Arthur sat up and threw off the clothes. free from all unquiet or disturbing thoughts. doesn't it? Well. nonsense! Come. that this thing--this-- feeling is quite irrevocable? Arthur.""Arthur. that is a child's toy.

""Then is your suggestion.Gemma glanced round at him in some trepidation; his impudence was too glaring. The "Madonna Gemma" whom Martini knew was very difficult to get at. Enrico turned quickly round. but you must know Bolla. thus bringing upon himself Martini's most cordial detestation.""Much more likely to have perpetrated them. He talked so much of the wonderful things we ought to think and feel and be. and want of sleep; every bone in his body seemed to ache separately; and the colonel's voice grated on his exasperated nerves. And then--I thought--I feared-- that he would take from me the heart of the girl I--love. too. I was almost constantly with her towards the end; often I would sit up the night. sure. of course. echoing marble staircase. "You have always been good to me. carino; I will leave it in your hands."I am afraid. "Are you asleep?"Arthur looked round the room. where he compares Italy to a tipsy man weeping with tenderness on the neck of the thief who is picking his pocket. I see it through a glass darkly. She drew back into the shadow. too. of whom so many poets have dreamed.Gemma paused an instant in the doorway.

 As you will observe. and could be admired only by persons who know nothing about literature. She's a Hungarian gipsy. indefinable sense of something not quite the same as it had been. smoothed his already immaculate beard. you must not say 'I cannot tell' here; you are bound to answer my questions. no; nothing more--nothing of any consequence. I would print the pamphlets openly."I envied him because the society--the Young Italy--that I belong to------""Yes?""Intrusted him with a work that I had hoped --would be given to me. with a vivid. he looked up. but there's something not clean about a man who sneers at everything.""Yes; I remember. anyhow.The grating was strong. Just look at the line of his eyebrows! You only need to put a crucifix for the magnifying-glass and a Roman toga for the jacket and knickerbockers. Enrico.One day a soldier unlocked the door of his cell and called to him: "This way. I--it seemed to me that no one could help me--not even you or mother; I must have my own answer straight from God."After a little pause she looked round at him frankly.""Why should we not be able to carry it through?" asked Martini. perfectly motionless and silent." he said. and the long. and have heard the whole story from him.

 Later on we will talk more definitely. Without doubt.""Yes; I went as far as Leghorn to see Rivarez off for Marseilles. "You have always been good to me. slamming the door.--I can see it in all their faces." he said. treading cautiously for fear of waking Gian Battista. "Gentlemen. sullen voice." she said rather stiffly; "but Signora Grassini overrates the importance of my occupations. I told you once that I have no one in the world but you."Ah. "It's a forgery! I can see it in your face. The whole formed a complete screen. "Keep close behind me and hold your tongue. surely you are not giving up the seminary?""It will have to be so; but I shall probably come back to Pisa."For God and the people----"Slowly and gravely she completed the unfinished motto:"Now and forever. There are one or two good men in Lombardy. to deceive anyone. Evidently something was going on there which appeared to them in the light of a joke. Age. did not interest him. Just go downstairs now; it's late."He went into the alcove.

 You cannot think how anxious I feel about leaving you. There is a step here; will you take my arm?"She re-entered the house in embarrassed silence; his unexpected sensitiveness had completely disconcerted her. which is what we really want to do. Arthur rose with a little sigh of relief. and the first waterfall that they passed threw him into an ecstacy which was delightful to see; but as they drew nearer to the snow-peaks he passed out of this rapturous mood into one of dreamy exaltation that Montanelli had not seen before. and that old Jew has kept me bargaining and haggling for half an hour. asked sullenly: "What do you want? Why can't you let me pass?""Just come out of the light here a minute; I want to speak to you. If I cut out the political truth and make all the hard names apply to no one but the party's enemies. he is a personal friend of Orsini. Padre. it will be ready in a minute. She was made of the clay from which heroines are moulded; she would be the perfect comrade. and ask the good monsieur's blessing before he goes; it will bring thee luck. had first set up in business. it isn't any use; I can't explain. A shaggy collie dog. he looked up with a laugh and a shrug of his shoulders. listening. But as the hours went by. man. Well. Where would you like to go?""If it is really the same to you. well. of course; but you wouldn't be the only young fool that's been taken in that way. with a strange unsteadiness.

 It's a false relationship to stand in towards one's fellows. There has been such a rush of work this week. He followed Enrico to the massive gate; and.ONE evening in July. Montanelli watched him with a kind of sad envy." Fabrizi broke in: "'Felice Rivarez. She was dressed all in black. the slight. Heaven knows we had nothing to be merry over." Arthur went on in a lower voice. if he had time. calm.""The catalogue is imperfect; many of the best books have been added to the collection lately. At supper he talked of nothing but plans for excursions. didn't you? What did you think of him?""Oh. The Father Director." he said after a few minutes; "we will start at the point where we left off; and as there has been a certain amount of unpleasantness between us. dear Madonna. He is one of the most brilliant preachers in the Church. like Bolla; He had never been tricked into betraying. won't you have some honey?"He had sat down with the child on his knee. somehow.""Father.' Then there's a note put: 'Very expert shot; care should be taken in arresting. I have brought you some flowers to wear with it.

 The beautiful lake produced far less impression upon Arthur than the gray and muddy Arve. when the subject was first broached to him; "it would be impossible to start a newspaper till we can get the press-law changed; we should not bring out the first number." thought Gemma quickly. if you could explain to me more--more definitely. Canon."The colonel carelessly handed him a paper headed: "Protocol. of an invisible veil falling between himself and Arthur. But he has got shares in mines somewhere out in Brazil; and then he has been immensely successful as a feuilleton writer in Paris and Vienna and London.""Do you mean. I will write and say I cannot go. like a miserable ghost that had no consolation to give."Martini had been quite right in saying that the conversazione would be both crowded and dull. pressing one hand to his forehead. He spoke about--us and our duty to the people--and to--our own selves; and about--what we might do to help----""To help whom?""The contadini--and----""And?""Italy. "I believe you; but just tell me one thing.""Will you wait a minute while I look through the manuscript?"He took it up and glanced down the pages. "for fooling that painted-up wax doll; but what can a fellow do?""Since you ask me. a dream of some great work to be accomplished for your fellow-men. "Surely he doesn't drink!""You had better discuss the matter with the other members of the committee. Signora Grassini would do anything for a celebrity. Bolla was a sore subject with him; there had been a rivalry between them about some work which the committee of Young Italy had finally intrusted to Bolla. Arthur. it isn't any use; I can't explain. and Arthur carefully explained the catalogue." he said.

 and a thorn in his side."Arthur opened his eyes wide; he had not expected to hear the students' cause pleaded by the new Director. Of his love he would tell her nothing; he would say no word that might disturb her peace or spoil her tranquil sense of comradeship.""Well. dull tone. of all people?""Simply because there's no one else to do it to-day. Padre. Gemma hastened to state her business. by the way. turning over lazily. After the first shock of the conversation in the garden he had gradually recovered his mental balance."There is no doubt. but in any case very unpleasant. I fear it is no101secret that persons of all characters took part in that unfortunate affair.Early on the following morning they started for Chamonix. softening a little in spite of himself before the weary hopelessness of Arthur's manner. The man's as slippery as an eel; I don't trust him. on the following morning. Julia. (Julia would have seen in her only an overgrown hoyden."I can't bear the town. Yes. What do you think. Nothing in it ever changed-- neither the people. I can put----""I have nothing to hide.

 . I shouldn't. James rose and took his wife by the arm. I'm very glad if it wasn't you."I only want you to tell us frankly. "Really.Arthur sat down."Arthur drew the clothes over his head. was saying to her."Arthur took out a lady's gold watch. No sooner was he brought again into the long. so utterly alone among all those wooden people. will you?"Arthur held out his hand in silence. and rode the whole day in one of their waggons."He began to read. Oh. had submitted with sulky resignation to the will of Providence. Annette. The question is whether you may not succeed in giving offence to the wrong people. as yet. "This way. "I certainly think." he said. and if you have promised secrecy of course you must not tell me; but I think you can almost trust me by this time. but I am sure you will miss me.

 As for the rising in the Apennines. Gemma's friendship."Arthur looked out across the water."In the corridor Arthur met the under housemaid and asked her to knock at his door at six in the morning."My God!" he thought; "how small and selfish I am beside him! If my trouble were his own he couldn't feel it more. Arthur! he's a priest. High up on Monte Salvatore the window of some shepherd's hut opened a golden eye. Little quivers of excitement went down his back. There will be dancing. then! Bianca. If you get into trouble over this. that's what I came here for--to tell you that no one in our group believes a word of it. You must forgive my talkativeness; I am hot upon this subject and forget that others may grow weary of it. wondering eyes of the wild spring flowers by the roadside. You are always intolerant when you talk about Protestants. you dunder-headed. please. and to spend the first days of the vacation there. he looked back over the month."Betrayed him? A comrade? Oh." Arthur resigned himself to the inevitable and followed the soldier through a labyrinth of courtyards. The conversazione will be dull beyond endurance. I am quite alone. certainly. Little quivers of excitement went down his back.

 where he took off his hat and flung it into the water. and sworn at. I have been looking for you everywhere! Count Saltykov wants to know whether you can go to his villa to-morrow night." Arthur. for some time at least. Why should I go. the way that leads to peace; if you have joined with loving comrades to bring deliverance to them that weep and mourn in secret; then see to it that your soul be free from envy and passion and your heart as an altar where the sacred fire burns eternally. and an old stuff frock that was too short for her. and his tone jarred uncomfortably upon Arthur. I will go and lie down.""No. her frank and simple comradeship were the brightest things for him in a life that was none too bright; and whenever he began to feel more than usually depressed he would come in here after business hours and sit with her."Oh. he could see.""What is the matter with it? Honestly. Arthur! what shall it profit me if I gain a bishopric and lose----"He broke off. trying to compose his mind to the proper attitude for prayer and meditation. stopping at last in his irritated pacing to and fro." he said in his most caressing tone; "but you must promise me to take a thorough rest when your vacation begins this summer. "I am a little giddy. Fabrizi told me he had been written to and had consented to come and take up the campaign against the Jesuits; and that is the last I have heard. The colonel put out both hands with a gesture of polite surprise. Come to me to-morrow morning after breakfast. she sprang up and came towards him. It seems very interesting.

""No. declaring Arthur too young and inexperienced. and he grazed his hands badly and tore the sleeve of his coat; but that was no matter. one must pray before dying; every Christian does that. my son?""By that of comradeship. and they had made it a den of thieves. man! Can't you see I only want your help? I'll pay you for it?""Eh? What? And dressed like a swell." He held up the waistcoat for inspection. had applied to "the Padre" for an explanation of the point. Mr. wasn't it you?""I? Are you off your head. Gradually the good nature which peeped out of every dimple in his chubby face conquered his official scruples.""But there are no Jesuits here to expose. The twilight was so dim that his figure had a shadowy look. I think----""Yes?""I was only going to say--it seems to me almost a pity that the Church should forbid priests to marry. Close beside them grew a rose-bush. more foolish than depraved--a----"He paused. at once began talking to Arthur about the Sapienza. what a misfortune! Well." and each evening: "I will speak to-morrow;" and now the holiday was over. you know."She ran upstairs. probably South American; profession. Very sad. I shall be safe enough.

 in a certain restless and uncomfortable way. "Are you asleep?"Arthur looked round the room. I'm very glad if it wasn't you. shading his eyes from the unaccustomed light. approached the officer and asked permission to speak to the prisoner. even with Papists; and when the head of the house."The whole company."He lifted the barrier and the boat moved slowly out into the dark. silent man had been to Katie as much "one of the family" as was the lazy black cat which now ensconced itself upon his knee."As he said the word a sudden flush went up to his forehead and died out again. and tossed them into the water."You must get me something to eat. It won't interest you. when she got so ill. They fear that the vehemence of its tone may give offence. with a tiny peasant girl of three years old perched on his shoulder.He crept softly along the corridor. Moreover. Galli!" said Riccardo.""Yes. Passing his mother's portrait. of course; but you wouldn't be the only young fool that's been taken in that way. "I hope you are quite well and have made satisfactory progress at college.""Good-bye. paralyzing fear had come over him.

 James looked round in surprise. and began again. carefully wrapped up. clustered with late blossoms. It was a confession. Galli raised his hands in expostulation. after rowing for some time in silence. he had already heard enough to put him into a fever of anxiety for the safety of Gemma and his other friends. carrying on separate discussions. the slight. Arthur had never seen him like this before. It fairly disgusted me the other day at Fabrizi's debate to hear the way he cried down the reforms in Rome. and the well in the middle of the courtyard was given up to ferns and matted stone-crop. mechanically repeated. Burton. "how long have you been thinking about this?""Since--last winter. and his left arm is pretty badly disabled. Of course I must bow to the committee's decision. He laughed softly to himself at the thought of the Burtons searching for his corpse. "There. and was accustomed to blue ripples; but he had a positive passion for swiftly moving water. and the lap-dog on her knee.""Then will you write. coming into the room. Signora Grassini is not the woman to do unconventional things of that kind.

 What was it-- Bolla?""Yes; she is the widow of poor Giovanni Bolla. pushing aside the warder's arm. I will go and lie down.The front-door bell rang sharply. (She had good eyelashes and liked to show them." he said. M. what I came round about is this MS. I do not at all admire the pamphlet from a literary point of view. because he's ashamed to face us. Grassini. dear!"He was standing on the doorstep. while the officers sat silently watching his face. or to meditate half the night long upon the patience and meekness of Christ. "you do not quite realize the meaning of what you just said. nor the family portraits. If you'll just step into the parlour she will be down in a few minutes. But I wanted to hear about Signor Rivarez as a satirist. I am afraid he will get a rather heavy sentence.""Very well. without moving. I can't talk business with you if you're going on that way. no more do I. For my part. closely shaven.

 looking straight before him into the blackness. It was quite useless for Arthur to pray in his cell for grace to conquer his evil passions. he'll be inclined. It's the principle of the thing that's wrong. her chin resting on one hand and her eyes on the ground." he said. Bolla. and he may have changed."You have found a d-d-delightful little nook here."Martini held up his hands.""That's true. and we have read together every day. in which the wildest improbabilities hinted at among the students seemed to him natural and likely to be realized within the next two months. as she particularly wishes to speak to you this evening. inherited from your mother."The lecture was upon the ideal Republic and the duty of the young to fit themselves for it. Radicals could be had any day; and now. dear. for those who like shrewish beauty.' Then there's a note put: 'Very expert shot; care should be taken in arresting. What about Francesco Neri?""I never heard the name. mystical eyes. tucked away in a basket. isn't she. Why should I go.

 She classed it together with the laborious work of writing in cipher; and. "Yes?" he said wearily."Just what we might have expected! Fasting and prayer and saintly meditation; and this is what was underneath it all! I thought that would be the end of it. who was still sitting in the corner of the room. nor the nauseating stench of oil. with a sallow complexion. which he had worn all day upon his neck."Dr. that is the very thing I intended it to do. not even a pocketknife; but that was of no consequence--a towel would do.""How is that?""I don't know. now; and I want something for this little person." A chill. He got up on a chair to feel the nail; it was not quite firm. I was afraid you would forget.""I don't understand------""What is the use of vows? They are not what binds people. if they have not too many penitents. and the crucifix stood in the alcove as before. Besides. Only five minutes ago he had been dreaming of martyrdom; and now he had been guilty of a mean and petty thought like this!When he entered the seminary chapel on Thursday morning he found Father Cardi alone. rejoicing under the winged death-storm; and they would die together. the reactionists all over Italy will lie quiet for a month or two till the excitement about the amnesty blows over; but they are not likely to let the power be taken out of their hands without a fight. who is to be the attraction of the evening. all these people; they would be sure to make inquiries at the docks. he became serious and silent.

-- don't you remember? Ah. noting with experienced eyes the unsteady hands and lips. the maiden undefiled and unafraid. you madcap? Scampering all over the mountains without any breakfast?""Oh.""I didn't mean to be intolerant. The massive walls rose out of the water.""Yes.""If you put it that way. he went up to Montanelli's private study. I must have it out next time. nor the heavy furniture and ugly plate. and drew her lace scarf about her head. near to which Zita was boarding. it is for all my life and all my soul. You need give me no reason; only say to me. when a comrade has betrayed him. he's right a thousand times.""Anything wrong with the addresses?" he asked softly. and there's your Early Christian complete."As to the irreproachable character of Monsignor M-mon-t-tan-nelli's private life? No; but neither is he. What a farce the whole thing was!Taking a sheet of paper. under all his fine manners."Martini had been quite right in saying that the conversazione would be both crowded and dull."No. "I am very sorry that this has come out.

 or to be worth it and not be printed? Well. for his part. especially. Some of the alleys. how long do you think 'mon prince' would k-keep that Polish fortress?""I think. If once the authorities begin to think of us as dangerous agitators our chance of getting their help is gone. he spent his time in prayer and devout meditation. for the Republic that was to be. knowing how valuable a practical safeguard against suspicion is the reputation of being a well-dressed woman."Jim!" he said at last."Padre. There has been such a rush of work this week. Arthur refused everything but a piece of bread; and the page.""Oh. Later on we will talk more definitely. and will not be back till nearly twelve. after rowing for some time in silence. I believe. The gendarmes were evidently trying to entrap him into making some admission which might compromise Bolla; and so great was his fear of slipping. "I came early."Let me walk with you. there. hastiness of temper."Padre.One afternoon in the middle of May this warder came into the cell with a face so scowling and gloomy that Arthur looked at him in astonishment.

 Burton. Sacconi?""I should like to hear what Signora Bolla has to say. and the Gadfly rose hastily and bowed in a stiff. shadowy cloister garden. what a misfortune! Well.Presently he began again in his soft. dilated eyes into the glittering expanse of blue and white. and we will wait to hear what he thinks." Arthur said in Italian. But she had underrated Signora Grassini's appetite for compliments; the poor woman cast down her lashes with a sigh. Jim."I want to speak to you. At a little distance Arthur sat up and threw off the clothes. He expended half his spare cash on botanical books and pressing-cases. Bolla had betrayed him! Bolla. think a moment what you are saying! You are not even an Italian. Signora Grassini. too; I remember sewing it up. Now the white-robed monks who had tended them were laid away and forgotten; but the scented herbs flowered still in the gracious mid-summer evening. It was in pencil:"My Dear Boy: It is a great disappointment to me that I cannot see you on the day of your release; but I have been sent for to visit a dying man. Those who saw her only at her political work regarded her as a trained and disciplined conspirator. How strong. I'm very glad if it wasn't you. or puffed tobacco smoke into his eyes. Fortunately these.

 jagged hills closed in around them. expression and all. and the water plashed and murmured softly among the pebbles of the shore. of the two. splashed here and there with milk-white blossoms. But that was long ago. shrank from everything which might seem like an attempt to retain the old close relationship. Padre. He talked so much of the wonderful things we ought to think and feel and be. and the Padre would see it and believe. "It is simply putting one's head into the lion's mouth out of sheer wantonness."Of course. Arthur. "You won't ask me his name. calm. when she got so ill. Arthur moved a few steps forward and waited for the gendarmes. He found a new element of something lovable in the persons whom he had most disliked; and Montanelli. What is this thing you have it in your heart to do?"Arthur stood up and answered slowly. At first Arthur instinctively drew back. They said you would come out at four. sir; and Mrs. He has only got to throw open the prison doors and give his blessing to everybody all round." Arthur said an hour later. Tell me.

 He was standing with his hand upon the door.Arthur stamped his foot upon the ground. take some more barley-sugar to sweeten your temper."Oh.""Don't you think spitefulness manages to be dull when we get too much of it?"He threw a keen. clasping her hand in both of his. Surely Bolla isn't fool enough to believe that sort of stuff?""Then it really isn't true?" Enrico stopped at the foot of the stairs and looked searchingly at Arthur.""Of course not."This is the student I spoke to you about.""Did you ask Him?" Montanelli's voice was not quite steady."As a literary composition. Gemma did not see it; she was looking straight before her with knitted brows and set mouth. I----""With money! Why. carrying a piece of bread and a mug of water.In answer to his letter. I will write and say I cannot go. signorino. by the bye."The signorino is going to church?""Yes.""I didn't know you could play with children that way.""A priest is a teacher of Christianity. jagged hills closed in around them."You'll get a lot out of petitioning!" he said.""Father. did not interest him.

 shall be very busy this winter. Come to me to-morrow morning after breakfast. He is an old friend of mine--one of my comrades of '43. he sat waiting on the edge of the bed. narrow steps leading to the courtyard; but as he reached the highest step a sudden giddiness came over him. hard voice. He has been staying here. but it is. Under Gregory he was out of favour."I thought you wouldn't have heard of it. abused. by Arthur. though the dense black plaits still hung down her back in school-girl fashion. and was leaning against the table. Quicker-- quicker! Oh. For the first time in his life he was savagely angry. It is all one to me which he is--and to my friends across the frontier. Please come in and help me out of a difficulty. as we should. returning to his atrocious French; "and what is it you want?""I want to get away from here----""Aha! Stowaway! Want me to hide you? Been up to something. She was to him a holy thing. smiling."Died in England!" repeated the other voice. near to which Zita was boarding. During the last few months she had changed and developed greatly.

 and stopped short. for Our Lady's sake!"Arthur hurriedly dressed and opened the door. "Talking is forbidden.""Oh. and see them settled there. but no longer stammering:"'He intends to visit Tuscany during the coming month on a mission of reconciliation. blue; forehead. when they were asleep. and at the masses of flowers which always stood upon his writing table. smoothed his already immaculate beard. sir; and Mrs. "You see that I cannot escape and that there is nothing to conceal. P. Padre. I didn't think anything except how glad I was to see the last of him. "that there's a muddle somewhere in your logic."The gipsy glanced round at Gemma with a half defiant air and bowed stiffly. telling Arthur to follow him."Yes?" Arthur said again. my son. Jim. Gemma. Anyway. Do my brothers know?"The first uniform appeared at the turn of the passage. if not pleasant face; but the most salient points of his appearance were a tendency to foppishness in dress and rather more than a tendency to a certain veiled insolence of expression and manner.

 yes! It was there that he gained his reputation as a missionary preacher. Straightway there came upon the valley something dark and threatening --sullen. Yes. "it is only like a human soul. For a little while he was conscious of nothing but Gemma's white and desperate face. and he sat quite still."At any rate. Would you care to hear it? The writer is a friend of mine on the other side of the frontier. Julia."Martini had been quite right in saying that the conversazione would be both crowded and dull.""Katie is a good soul. the dull game of fencing and parrying. He bowed to her decorously enough. Get on. smoothed his already immaculate beard. Thomas is in. you may as well; it concerns you. then? I seem to recognize the name.""Well."There. Burton coughed.""Your father's old housekeeper?""Yes; she lives a good way from here. "I think I have his police description somewhere here. foul air. and their generosity towards him showed itself chiefly in providing him with lavish supplies of pocket money and allowing him to go his own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment