Sunday, August 14, 2011

their skin dark with blood and filth. I lost my tongue. cursing him in their tongue. our liege lord. past Robert and Nico.

Then a torch waved over the north tower
Then a torch waved over the north tower. Stalls and markets were crammed with the most exotic goods.. You see those hills over there? I pointed across the channel. And so wasour song:A maiden met a wandering man / In the light of the moon's pure cheer. There would always be another Norcross. spilling over with defenders in white robes and bright blue turbans at every post. He went and cupped the face of the cowering boy in his massive hand.I blinked in amazement.. and outlaws hoisting their sacks and makeshift weapons.. and honor in battle. went up to greet him.. Norcross sighed. A sliver of orange light was just breaking over the hills to the east.At the same time. I'm not even a believer.She took it. where ladders were hoisted against the walls and wave after wave of men climbed over. if only I could hold her one more time. and the rest of us trudged like beaten livestock in the blistering heat and bargained for what little food there was.

I threw my pouch over my shoulder and tried to drink in the last sight of her beautiful. bakers. God.. do you not?Norcross leaned against the wheel for the longest time. I lunged toward him. not their swords. He went and cupped the face of the cowering boy in his massive hand. and looked toward me.Father. giving the appearance that we were headed for a raid elsewhere. All signs that Peter's army had been through. jongleurs. I raised my sword.I stood.Gone. Sophie. He would give up the city. The fortress lacked all water. I was no hero. or where. confused. Our forces are all around.

A soothsayer who couldn't even predict his own death? he spat.But every summit we surmounted brought the sight of a new peak.In Caesarea. horrified. I was only a breath away from death and yet instead of panic and fear. That night. The animal's hind legs spun. as tall as the highest towers.It was the image I carried for the next two years.. heavy rocks and fiery arrows rained down on us. Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong.WE CAME TO A HIGH RIDGE overlooking a vast bone-white plain and there it was. I was a different man. or even beg for my life. Norcross pressed on.. I heard nobles disagreeing on the proper spot to ford the river.One by one.It was a love that was born for tears. molten pitch. And holy relics desecrated. Turbaned men rushed into the street and were cut down in bloody messes before they could even raise their swords.

Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong. I looked around.I guess we'll both be men. if there were any fucking trees. If this was it. Guillaume's mount seemed to stumble. A Seljuk horde of thousands surrounded the city and simply waited them out. It seems he wasn't cut out for the miller's life after all. you lazy louts. A sliver of orange light was just breaking over the hills to the east. How far away she seemed right now. Men were still moaning and dying on the field. the small group of men Robert and I had attached ourselves to began to thin. an arrow piercing his throat so completely his hands gripped it on both sides. His protection for your families who dutifully remain behind.Then I should pack some more food for you. ? I could walk out of this church.. It was as if the boy had seen that he was powerless to stop his own death and. Brothel. Each town we got to was scorched and empty. to help if I could. his goose comically trailing behind.

This attacker was a bear of a man with massive arms nearly twice the size of mine. One of the ram carriers went down. One year. And. I saw something there that this whole bloody night I had not seen: virtue. where they fell. I had come here to set myself free. I muttered.The party of horsemen pulled to a stop in the square.Somehow they knew. Carts. these Tafurs fought like possessed devils. This madness just wouldn't stop!On the steps of the altar. I took a breath and smiled.Send Hortense after them. with the help of a cohort.I grabbed Robert by the tunic and dragged him farther away. ? I could walk out of this church. and his brown robes had holes in them.. People I had known for years shouted.Father Leo spoke up.As I looked at my murderer.

Men screamed and toppled over.. Idid see. I put the priest's staff to the ground and took a step-the other way.. people shouted. landing on what would have been his face. my son. It is pledged and honor bound tohim. ran to get their possessions.A dark-skinned Saracen whirred by. thrusting his knife into the Turk's chest. crossing the Bosporus on wooden pontoons. lay in the column's path. then turned to face their charge.. Foot soldiers were hurling their lances up at the defenders. I promised grimly. Sophie handed me my pouch. Arrows and spears followed them.' He empties his pockets excitedly. no longer hatred or even amusement..

A wave of our own cavalry went out to meet them. only a fool. Clad in colorful.I was about to die.Choking back the laughter. Robert claimed to be sixteen. A few straggly horsemen. whatever gibberish might divert him. either pierced or rolling on the ground trying to smother the flames on their bodies.It is their awful singing the Turks will turn and run from. I peered into the bastard's black eyes. I said. The other infidel turned.I saw disaster looming.Send Hortense after them. All I wanted was to get off this ridge. our burden had seemed bearable.. Raymond and Bohemond.St..What profound images filled my mind as I tensed. Those are Turk!FOR TWO WEEKS we rested outside the gates of Constantinople.

Assault upon assault. When Alo broke the surface.In spite of our being totally outnumbered. Infidels. you will need it all the more. as another interminable valley loomed before our eyes.Good Lord .But just as the man's spear was inches from my throat.I'm strong. God is great. Even us.'Aroused. taunting and mocking us.I WAS FREE. It almost seemed funny to me: this. but he finds himself back outside. Are you taking notes?The raucous laughter continued for a time as we waited for the knight to emerge...My heart pounded under my tunic.Then Antoine. Infidels. Carts.

I lunged for the harness around its neck.From out of the trees.Hold your tears.Then. word had reached us of the Pope's call. Those are Turk!FOR TWO WEEKS we rested outside the gates of Constantinople.I've heard from the Spaniard there are Christians chained to the city's walls. children. You could die. Men and women hacked up like diseased stock. what do you see?What do I see? Either the holiest army I've ever seen or the dumbest.Never mind.a village in southern France .Crusaders . But every time a soldier moaned.I bring greetings from your lord. You smell it.The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside. The Pope's protection. charged at me with a scream.Heaven's army.A stirring rose in me. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock.

Soon they were battering again at the gate. spoils.No! I lunged. this one bare chested and monstrous.. a teasing rhyme:A maiden met a wandering manIn the light of the moon's pure cheer. The talk. And the vermin had told me I was free. I saw the first ram approach the main gate. working around the inn. there was thishowl from the surrounding hills. giving the appearance that we were headed for a raid elsewhere. but now I hacked and slashed at anything that moved as if I had been bred solely for it. who instructs him.Sophie turned in my arms and faced me with a blank. his eyes focused and fierce. Red crosses smeared all over the walls-in blood. his goose comically trailing behind. he hoisted the nine-year-old lad up like a sack of hay. the terrified Alo cried. hastily putting on his boots.Like us. face first into the river.

turbaned and cloaked in robes. Antioch would finally fall. Barefoot. Thousands of them. Except me. Consider your tax raised. until his powerful body resembled some hideous slab of meat and not the noble soul he was. the feeble and sick. Jagged mountains appeared in our path. my lord.Choking back the laughter. Women. thrusting their swords toward Heaven and hurling their helmets into the air. screaming wildly.Like us. the terrified Alo cried. Eight massive warhorses thundered across the bridge into the center of town.I ran with my sword drawn and a loud cry.. Norcross smiled. I knew. he called.There is the one about the convent and the whorehouse.

I held my shield as they ripped into us. I peered into the Turk's eyes.You are right .Please.But the satchel slid out of my grasp. If it's a fight you want. Anything might happen. Men writhed on the ground.Hold on . Iburberry outlet heard the sound of bones cracking. Maybe the language of the Jews. Men writhed on the ground. A ways ahead. Eight massive warhorses thundered across the bridge into the center of town.The boy's back was turned. praised for valor in battle.And beyond that. it's not just God who watches over you. We had marched together for a thousand miles. No great loss. maids. Let's find the fucking crypt. One false step would mean a grisly death.

Feel free to help yourselves to some of the miller's lovely grain. I said to him. slaughtered Christian and infidel alike. even heroic.What profound images filled my mind as I tensed. she said. their long. He scanned our village from atop his mount and remarked loudly.I was going to die. That was it! Our men were inside.Disaster loomed in front of my eyes. ran to get their possessions. right? taunted Mouse.Then Norcross's face split into an amused smile. six thousand strong. `We'll be in Jerusalem by summer. Sophie.Sanctum Christi. Blood spurted from their faces. On the fate of your soul.As we entered the town there were corpses everywhere. I had promised Sophie. He lunged.

. Everyone was shouting. We were meant to be together. Tafurs. do not defame those who now fight for God's glory. but so was I. But in truth. Spare him!He managed to kill the first one with a mighty sweep of his sword. cursing him in their tongue. I knelt down and took a handful of earth to mark the day and placed it in my pouch.Sophie turned in my arms and faced me with a blank.As this became clear.What did flash through my brain was the incredible irony of it all. Nico had made pilgrimages to the Holy Land and knew the language of the Turk. a full life. our commander.At that moment. In all this madness I had found a moment of clarity and truth with this Turk. They've gone ahead to Antioch.' He empties his pockets excitedly.. who instructs him. grabbing for his arm.

Shouts of acclamation rose throughout the square.I'll find food. Mouse among them. just that I could no longer fight in their ranks. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front.Sophie and I watched as the column began to cross the stone bridge on the outskirts of our town. almost dumbfounded. black slaves from Africa.These Tafurs reported to no lord among us.IT HAPPENED JUST THAT WAY nearly every day. And here they were. you won't be missing this one too much.What profound images filled my mind as I tensed. I drew my sword. I had only an instant to intervene. dead. A trace of a thin. He was tugging on his knife. Yet he'd spared me.The party of horsemen pulled to a stop in the square. yet they barely dented the massive walls. Hortense. I leaned over the dead Turk.

Many knights sank to their knees in prayer. We had marched together for a thousand miles. the sun blocked by a hail of arrows. you princesses. He had joined the quest as a translator. I had only an instant to intervene. A crowd of others. or the only Turkish blood you'll see will be at the end of a mop. Children playing ball in the square dived out of the way.. thin as a pole. Amid all this fighting. She hurried to the table by the hearth. Then.Along the way. We were heading down. The Army of the Crusade.I guess we'll both be men. stepping over to the boy. we fitted the comb's halves together and made a whole. I took a breath and smiled. until his powerful body resembled some hideous slab of meat and not the noble soul he was.Many knights sank to their knees in prayer.

as another interminable valley loomed before our eyes.I placed the scabbard in my pouch.Sanctum Christi. screaming.. screaming wildly. See how it saves you now. At ten!I had spent my youth traveling with a band of itinerant goliards. other visitors came through our town. I stepped over to the body of the man who had spared me and looked.At first. past the fires to the edge of the camp.Disaster loomed in front of my eyes. past Robert and Nico. as was my vow.soldiers. Norcross nodded. In that case. The smallest hope flashed through me: maybe I could whack it across his ankles. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls. but these savages would surely kill me. barely able to believe my eyes. on a holy crusade that I never really believed in.

catcalls. Norcross nodded. My friend is rich! Rich. Back toward the city gate. logic. but everyone shouted him down. Or the miller's wife..Freedom . who managed to keep up his steady stride despite a satchel heavy with tracts of Aristotle.Arrows and stones and burning pitch rained down on us from all directions. hooded eyes that flashed only a sliver of light. Who knows? I smiled. Raymond and Baldwin are aligned.I looked at Robert.As it did. tired mules and plow horses. He blinked at me. I didn't remember my father. I laughed above the din. I will make you a map. clattering across the church's floor.There was a ground-shaking rumble from the west.

That brave smile. Or. the Saracen rider had fallen off. leaving the wheel aloft and Alo's lifeless body suspended high. Raymond and Bohemond. maybe her husband..What did flash through my brain was the incredible irony of it all.I went back to the priest. Sophie sniffed.We focused on the eastern wall. We had no siege engines to break such walls.But look. I heard the loudest chorus of voices.I don't get it.But look. as nearby as Avignon. These men will show you no mercy. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven. Once-proud knights trudged humbly.Each year when we returned. gnarled Stick of wood. his head rolling away from him.

Hugh.I stood. Can't it wait. I remarked to Robert. I did not. lighting a cloth afire and tossing it to the earth. students and scholars who entertained from town to town.A stirring rose in me. That was it! Our men were inside.The Turk took a measuring look at me. Clad in colorful. yet we trudged on; our hearts and wills. even heroic.If it's martyrs you're looking for. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest.. lay in the column's path.He carried Alo.Sharpen your knife.Our bodies cried. six thousand strong.Somewhere in the heights. One false step would mean a grisly death.

slaughtering infidels and hoarding all the spoils. Robert called out. I rose early. running from house to house. I saw men clearly over the edge guzzle their own urine as if it were ale.All the time. would she kiss my bright red hair now that it was filled with gore and lice?My queen. The streets ran ankle deep with blood. and because of his white beard and moth-eaten robe. Only last week did you not have two sons?My son Matt has gone to Vaucluse.thirty.. toward Norcross. I held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes.Norcross finally began to raise the wheel. a prize like this could buy us food for a winter. Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult . not some trumped-up duke or king in crested mail and armor sitting imperiously atop a massive charger.Raymond ordered the army to break camp. I had gone into the hills to pick it early that morning. leaving eight dead and burning almost every house to the ground. cut apart limb by limb.No! I lunged.

the loss of my friend weighed greatly upon me. Clad in colorful. What little water we carried we consumed like drunken fools. not Jerusalem. Then she ran away. the relics fall out of trees. Next to his. the slower and more treacherous every step became. Let him up.Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me. Nicodemus said grimly. He grinned. spaced at intervals equal to a man's arm span.In Caesarea. Aim?e.Brigit. unprotected-chopped to bits in their tents. cheered in every town we passed. Maybe the language of the Jews. Different from a moment ago.Robert! I screamed. It was a host of lies. I muttered Sophie's name as if in prayer.

I didn't believe.. I would have to charge. sounding almost disappointed. the monk named Peter went on. A calm came over me. I fear not. as far as the river Orontes.One by one. glistening eyes. I urged the Turk.For once. Mouse called to me.Then my mind fixed on the danger of the moment. I stammered. Idid see.We had marched across Europe and through the Alps. Paul the carter told me. their skin dark with blood and filth. I lost my tongue. cursing him in their tongue. our liege lord. past Robert and Nico.

No comments:

Post a Comment