Sunday, August 14, 2011

Here I was. They were unafraid.Sophie turned in my arms and faced me with a blank.

Suddenly I heard shouting from up ahead
Suddenly I heard shouting from up ahead. The Pope's protection. where they fell. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock. When they were done. The man staggered. I blinked at the sight. You're not going to believe this. The rest of us surged ahead. Next to his. I have something important to talk to you about. slowly depleting. I tried to pivot around Robert. They were shouting. You must let go. And Jean the smith.March. lighting a cloth afire and tossing it to the earth. I knew he would be able to interpret it. shaking my head. In that case. then he nodded. either pierced or rolling on the ground trying to smother the flames on their bodies. I had to go back. the size of two men. This happened.It was all lies.From out of the trees.

I wanted not just to fight for my own gain. they urged.But not a man among us cheered. Men writhed on the ground. `Good enough. Raymond. shoot from the crowd. pieces of shit. Our forces are all around.' the traveler says. simply bowed their heads and wept. From above. One of the ram carriers went down. spitting words I recognized.. plopped atop a simple mule. With untold treasure and fame. grumbling about what the hell was going on. reminded me how much I loved her. the mighty fortress gate opened. and their daughter.THAT TERRIBLE AFTERNOON changed my life. Idid see. shit. which dipped deep beneath the surface of the river. a diminutive Spaniard with a large hooked nose. Then it was on to Jerusalem. I muttered.

At first we were glad to leave the inferno behind. I felt her thin body tremble in my arms. when a raiding party from our lord's rival in Digne swept through town during the wars. you must kill me in the name of what we donot embrace. shit. and because of his white beard and moth-eaten robe. I saw something there that this whole bloody night I had not seen: virtue. To study the metal trade. Sophie. Their haughty faces read. Even us. That was it! Our men were inside. barefoot. I could see that she was scared. I rolled my eyes. I will work that much harder.. I simply could not hold back.you are here for God's work . Peter's we signed up for. It will be made easily. I'd been brought up by goliards. glinting through the haze. I tried to joke. Do we finally get to pay them back?Sharpen that knife. I couldn't believe it.Sir. Other soldiers who had reached the rocks crossed themselves.

`and consider yourself properly screwed!'Laughter broke out from all around.As Norcross passed the miller's cowering daughter. one mind. raped. Battering rams were tossed aside and abandoned.What profound images filled my mind as I tensed. cheered in every town we passed. a vain smile visible under his mustache.I looked at the fallen Turk and whispered good-bye. And Robert too. My blood was surging.As we fled. The singing stopped. seeming to split him in two. He jerked his charger down the steep bank to the river and led the mount in. Robert among them. I screamed.. Roman ruins and temples. We pulled back two miles. Robert called out. how I had since the first time I had set eyes on her.And there was Robert with his goose. What goes in all stiff and stout. I had gone into the hills to pick it early that morning. was swept screaming into vast crevices or dropped in his tracks by Serb or Magyar arrows a thousand miles before the first sign of a Turk. looking fit. I screamed.

Only twice before had I heard the bells sounded at midday in the four years since I had come to live in this town. Jerusalem is near. Above me. it caused a terrible reaction. I heard the loudest chorus of voices. her yellow hair pinned up for the workday under a white cap. falling to his knees. Nothing ever happened here!I was struck with a kind of wonderment. said another in a parched. how I had since the first time I had set eyes on her. There was a traitor inside Antioch. Its frightened eyes showed that the animal was aware of the danger. but the Turk's stroke was so strong it knocked me backward over the dead priest. Sheep. winding passages where he sees many beautiful young nuns who smile at him.The thought occurred. resembling his mount.I had to get out of here. bakers.He grinned sheepishly. consumed by heavy blows and disemboweling slashes. even heroic.. Idid see. Or the miller's wife. falling to his knees.THE TURK'S SWORD hovered over me.On the outskirts.

bald. After my discovery. ? It could not be! My mind flashed back to the cheerful faces and joyous voices of the hermit's army as it marched through Veille du P?re. Each summer. but now I hacked and slashed at anything that moved as if I had been bred solely for it. or close my eyes. horse and rider surrounded by a cloud of dust. But then he was overwhelmed. Children Wailed for their mothers before being hurled into raging flames like kindling.Where are these nuns whenI am in need? a soldier behind me moaned.. In any case. softly moaning with pleasure and love. bunching his lips. Men and women hacked up like diseased stock. I heard thewhoosh from a wave of arrows shooting across the sky. good and bad.Please . start with this. clutching at their heads and throats. I knew he would be able to interpret it. I motioned with my eyes for them to stay clear of Norcross and his thugs.. transfixed by the awful corpses of the Turks.mapmakers. thearmy of Crusaders . black slaves from Africa. He fell from the horse.

Let me get your skin.At first. was it the Crusade?A ripple of tired laughter snaked through the exhausted ranks. unsure look. Each summer. I put my hand on Robert's shoulder.We made our way helter-skelter through the city.. tumbling. I accept your offer. His Holiness Urban promises unimaginable rewards. we joined forces with Count Robert of Flanders and Bohemond of Antioch.I just laughed.. It was not me.For the first time.. spilling over with defenders in white robes and bright blue turbans at every post. Raymond of Toulouse is forming an army. For a few moments.A trumpet sounded the call to arms. I will make you a map.Their presence here could only signal harm. counting the beats that Alo remained under. Those that stopped to attend to them were engulfed in the same boiling liquid themselves..' it reads. spoils.

all that I held true and good.As we fled.I threw my pouch over my shoulder and tried to drink in the last sight of her beautiful.I will help the miller increase his tax by a third. Then he toppled forward. When he was on the ground. who shrugged with a thin smile. Where the hell are we. she whispered. hurrying from the well with her bucket.. Freedom. confused. consumed with grief and rage. I stepped over to the body of the man who had spared me and looked..I have to go. Sheep. Full battle gear. Nothing ever happened here!I was struck with a kind of wonderment.I heard awful cries of death farther up the hill.. My body lit with her warmth. our commander.. I was trembling with horror. his small eyes moving from person to person. The town had bid me godspeed with a festive roast the night before.

One by one.For freedom? Suddenly. pagan towns now consecrated in the name of God. tired mules and plow horses.Slowly. praised for valor in battle. It seemed to stretch out forever. he seemed to grow.. and outlaws hoisting their sacks and makeshift weapons. Hugh?I nodded. Mouse grumbled from behind. At ten!I had spent my youth traveling with a band of itinerant goliards. Are you ready to give up?Then I burberry outlet onlineburst out laughing once again. with some inlaid writing that I could not understand. a buttress of gray rock thirty feet tall.All of them. one mile. Hundreds of fortified towers guarded each segment of an outer wall that appeared ten feet thick.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword. you say. They charged our ranks as if on a holy mission.Carrot-top here must be keen on the miller. plopped atop a simple mule. I knew the stench.The trail we walked was flat and manageable. Then-eerie silence. we advanced toward the massive walls.

..I didn't believe. People will be eager to feed a Crusader.Be brave .In battle. the size of two men. Then it was on to Jerusalem. slaughtered Christian and infidel alike.Looking up.WE BURIED THE DEAD for six days straight. ringed our ranks.There were some early successes. hastily putting on his boots.Sophie lifted her head and kissed me. One day. What remains of it. The sound of shouts and vicious fighting erupted from inside. laughter had entered my soul. I had simply made him smile.Join us. They had recently taken Nicaea.Hugh. The monk Peter mounted his donkey. not even for a moment. This time: `Convent. Raymond and Bohemond. think of how our lives could change.

My wife of three years hurried to the window. Every next man clutching at his limbs and throat. It took my breath away. I wanted freedom for Sophie and the children we would have one day.At intervals. the Pope's protection is worthless.A moment before. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. He leaped from his horse and thrashed around for Guillaume under the surface. but this time I charged full force toward the assault. Hugh. barefoot. with a thatched crown. I'll need it more when I come back. but for him it was never far.She took it. He spent many hours on the march teaching it to me.. I did not know where I would go. I heard the sound of bones cracking.Thisis Peter's army. all that I held true and good. Buildings were torched.We had marched across Europe and through the Alps. grumbling about what the hell was going on. Behind me. We were now out of arrow-shot. dropping them as they ran.

I traded for a gilded perfume box to take back home for Sophie. You're right.Finally. I could not hold it back. Hugh? Nicodemus called out as we made our way along a particularly treacherous incline. Raymond. And Jean the smith.Her golden hair down to her waist. Father Leo. my lord. if my lord wants. hastily putting on his boots. a prize like this could buy us food for a winter. raped. stay by me. his head rolling away from him.Assault upon assault. he said.. calling his name. Our weapons came together in a mighty clang. I muttered. Just like when we were children. pieces of shit. They threw both into the middle of the square. gone. Fresh-faced and chattering. A relic already! Nico laughed.

kicking and screaming. his eyes horrifically wide.A dark-skinned Saracen whirred by. On their huge mounts. from the same building. There was a feeling that the worst was over. Robert called out.Ibn Kan. To tell her I loved her.We focused on the eastern wall.Sir. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here. alwaysnear. throw up his hands and hug his mother. our own conquering army spilled in. Men simply dropped as they marched. with bright red crosses. turned and fled from the walls. What goes in all stiff and stout. His mouth curved into a sheepish grin. And holy relics desecrated. One day. but for him it was never far. The rest of us set out for there.. spilling blood. kicking and screaming.

Its frightened eyes showed that the animal was aware of the danger. From my vest pocket I took out a small sunflower. For a few moments.1096The church bells were ringing..I know that is a pile of shit. stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died. At first in tight formation. I watched as many a loyal soul.The Bosporus. anything that came into my head-when one of the henchmen rushed up to me. my lord. perhaps sixty yards wide. to pick sunflowers for you. Nico? This was the pilgrimage to St. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front. I could see that she was scared. but now I hacked and slashed at anything that moved as if I had been bred solely for it. We were here!A jubilant roar went up. Freedom from all servitude upon your return. one nonbeliever to another. for a moment out of harm's way. brave souls? The monk reached out his arms.' the traveler says. were being held for ransom. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet. were each manned with archers. yelping and hacking at those who met them.

Then I knelt beside Robert.' Now his curiosity is piqued. the Pope's protection is worthless.' the traveler says. grammar.No! I lunged.Raymond ordered the army to break camp. To study the metal trade. daylight darkened.I couldn't believe my good luck. God had taken me where I belonged. To Georges and Marie's frantic shrieks. For a few moments.father. His small jaw hung open. I noticed that my own tunic and arms were smeared with blood.. our liege lord. clutching at their heads and throats. but. we'renear .Away from the senseless killing.You may have started the day still a boy.Then Norcross's face split into an amused smile. wandering among burning buildings. Rumor had it some holy relics were held ransom there. pagan towns now consecrated in the name of God.Yet nothing so far could prepare us for the hell we were about to face.

He took a look at his assailants. Take this with you.A silence ensued. No one had ever seen anything like it before. The holiest treasures of our faith. Can't it wait. Riches. brandishing a makeshift knife. the small group of men Robert and I had attached ourselves to began to thin. The pious among us dreamed of their holy mission; the nobles. and honor in battle. lighting a cloth afire and tossing it to the earth. had formed behind me. but as we climbed. we continued along the ridge and down the narrow trail. barely wide enough for a cart and a horse. his rush was intercepted by Robert. this one bare chested and monstrous. They were unafraid. For the first time. he and the goose were great companions to us. I raised myself to my elbows. I always did. torsos naked and disemboweled. Men and women hacked up like diseased stock. we'll both fall. Norcross's sword jangled as he made his way to the frightened miller. At any moment.

But it seemed strong. we continued along the ridge and down the narrow trail. He winked. ? I could walk out of this church. The love of my life. but now I hacked and slashed at anything that moved as if I had been bred solely for it. I resumed. All I could do was scream. I noticed a small crucifix on the altar. and often during the day: that last image of her. He smiled as if to say. But the forays were met with such fierce resistance from the walls that they became graveyards for our bravest men. I thank God for how lucky I am. I wanted not just to fight for my own gain.I knew it. when a raiding party from our lord's rival in Digne swept through town during the wars. ? It could not be! My mind flashed back to the cheerful faces and joyous voices of the hermit's army as it marched through Veille du P?re. And it was vast-thousands of them! Not fitted out with armor or uniforms. the Saracen rider had fallen off. the boy's face was bloated and wide-eyed.. not some moth-eaten hermit.. Sophie.. amused. and reached out the jagged edge of her comb one last time..

I peered into the bastard's black eyes. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered. Robert shouted. I only wanted to go home. wandering among burning buildings. thudding and clanging into shields and armor all around. and hacked away at the first wave of horsemen. The fortress lacked all water. logic. his reputation as a seer suffered. God wills it. my love. not Jerusalem.I ran with my sword drawn and a loud cry.THAT TERRIBLE AFTERNOON changed my life. I instructed him. Hugh.I gave a last wave to Sophie. leaving the wheel aloft and Alo's lifeless body suspended high. The sooner we get there. and blackened with grime and enemy blood? Would she still laugh at my jokes and tease me for my innocence after what I had seen and known? If I brought her a sunflower. God will reward you. Spare this man. It is blasphemy.let the boy up. It bounced off with the effect of a pebble tossed against a wall. I thought of gaining our freedom.Constantinople.

. Sophie.Norcross finally began to raise the wheel. there was no option but to stand and fight. but the stone gave way. I thought about what weapons were at my inn and how we could possibly fight these knights if we had to. the Saracen rider had fallen off.My throat went dry. blessed the town with a wave. He smiled as if to say. horsemen at their tails.. I looked around.Then I'll scare the infidels off with my bright red hair.For the first time. hundreds of tall towers. Hugh. gnashing their teeth as if they wanted to devour the enemy alive.As it did. There was a feeling that the worst was over. it was said.All of them.I guess we'll both be men. I took a breath and smiled. Ahead of us was a wide gulf in the mountains.You probably thought you were ridding the world of a complete madman. In her clutched fist. some old knights parading in rusty armor.

waiting for the blade to fall? It did not occur to me to pray. I saw knights wearing the purple-and-white colors of Baldwin of Treille. Hugh. The love of my life. I was whole. which was starting to fill up. Norcross gathered his knights. stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died. What was I doing here? What had I become?I went over to the fallen priest. as nearby as Avignon. the big gate opened. the farther away I felt from anything I knew. we constructed enormous siege engines. You are no soldier.Fight with honor. Riches.It's an army. I prayed as I ran that my back would not be ripped apart by a Saracen arrow. an old Greek.. the miller's older son. no god either. I swear it. in full armor.It was late summer when we finally came out of the mountains.Would she even know me now. One of the ram carriers went down.Every couple of days.

Fresh-faced and chattering. The Army of the Crusade. Hugh?I nodded. I screamed. I held my shield as they ripped into us. Norcross laughed. the most hostile I had ever felt in my life. but now I hacked and slashed at anything that moved as if I had been bred solely for it.But just as the man's spear was inches from my throat. cut apart limb by limb.THE MORNING OF THE DAY I was to leave was bright and clear.. stuffing anything of value into their filthy robes. A sea of white tunics and red crosses. people shouted. no longer hatred or even amusement. to help if I could. we called him. spitting words I recognized.Finally. I wished Nico were here. But Raymond has promised freedom to anyone who joins. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again.Attack !Our army charged. Georges said. Are you taking notes?The raucous laughter continued for a time as we waited for the knight to emerge.a village in southern France .What profound images filled my mind as I tensed.

Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult . And.Your lord asked me to impress upon you.But the satchel slid out of my grasp. Father? Is this what you expect from the Pope's protection? He lowered the wheel again and the small boy disappeared. For whatever the reason.We had beenmarching for months now.You may have started the day still a boy. Kill the pagans and sit with the Lord in Heaven. I pumped out my chest. our commander.The first ram pounded into the heavy gate.He carried Alo. do not defame those who now fight for God's glory. Antioch would fall.I savored every exotic image. One by one.. and from within. tired mules and plow horses.in the light of the moon's pure cheer. but in his full battle gear and on unsteady footing he couldn't hold the mount. hollow look of men who have seen the worst atrocities and somehow lived. Raymond and Baldwin are aligned. taunting and mocking us. resembling his mount. to break the mood. to ask God for the forgiveness of my sins.

the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence. but for him it was never far. thrusting his knife into the Turk's chest. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life.THE WORD SPREAD like fire from battalion to battalion.. It looked like bronze. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life.Then. my lord. but there was little to find amusing. spilling over with defenders in white robes and bright blue turbans at every post.. then pointed east. Larger and more formidable than any castle I had ever seen back home. many from the ranks called out loudly.I am called Peter the Hermit.. his rush was intercepted by Robert. it seemed.He had just uttered these words when another turbaned warrior charged toward him. when a raiding party from our lord's rival in Digne swept through town during the wars.We spotted red crosses painted everywhere. carrying clubs and tools straight from home.. What's left of us. God had taken me where I belonged.I lunged for the harness around its neck.

and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest. barely able to believe my eyes. I was no hero.I looked at Robert. And holy relics desecrated..Sophie. thin as a pole... Its feet were unable to hold the trail. charged at me with a scream.It was all lies.. Sophie. I was twice the boy's size. some of them just boys. Above me. Amid all this fighting.There is the one about the convent and the whorehouse. And deeply in love.He had just uttered these words when another turbaned warrior charged toward him. I only wanted to go home.A moment later. like nothing I had ever seen before. bearded.. in formation.

their chargers snorting heavily. I screamed. We'll throw in two bushels of carrots!I was about to go on-a joke. stuffing anything of value into their filthy robes. A mere stumble. My blood was surging. eager to show our face to the Turks. Other than the inn. But most of all. people shouted. and started to walk.My regiment went on. Word has reached him that a rabble passed through here a day ago.Then I knelt beside Robert. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. with no great malice toward the enemy but ready to fight whoever confronted me.A trumpet sounded the call to arms.' everyone cheered. dying in front of an altar of Christ. It was as if the boy had seen that he was powerless to stop his own death and. simply bowed their heads and wept.Even the men!I had traveled across Europe in my youth and had played most of the large cathedral towns. Hugh. A traveler is walking down a quiet road when he notices a sign scratched onto a tree: `Sisters of St. We can do anything we want. If this was it. or where. I was sure.

men and women; some carrying axes and mallets and old swords.All the time. I couldn't hold it down. toward Norcross. You saw what happened today.Robert ran ahead to hurl one of the rocks toward the walls. Others said the bird had more sense than us and got out while she was still alive. I lifted the staff that had been in my hands when the Turk spared my life.Get out of here. a few of her feathers left in a cart. An anguished plea rose from the crowd. and started to walk. stepping over to the boy. Then he sneered. instead of turning to face his attacker.Nico . He would give up the city. Guillaume's mount seemed to stumble. I noticed her peeking at a rehearsal.Nothing lay in our path toward the Holy Land except the Moslem stronghold of Antioch. madness boiled out of control.. My blood was surging. And agile.The Bosporus. Two of Norcross's knights returned to the square dragging Georges the miller and his young son Alo by the hair. I waited for the death blow. Others said the bird had more sense than us and got out while she was still alive.

Many felt the nobles had themselves a meal at Robert's expense. Nor am I. I will be back.Each year when we returned.But the satchel slid out of my grasp.. Red-crossed soldiers stormed through the streets. I took another step. An image of my own death rose in my mind. Every house in the village had been burned or sacked. We pulled back two miles. I yelled. his military chief. These savages had chopped to pieces the last shred of humanity for me in all this hell. I have something important to talk to you about. The falling rocks must have spooked it. And Robert too.As we fled. or I could live for years. shoot from the crowd. I tried to pivot around Robert. I bade farewell to my sweet Sophie. a companion knight replied with an exaggerated sniff. And agile.IT HAPPENED JUST THAT WAY nearly every day. the miller's son.He nodded. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again.

. said another in a parched. and were left. looting. Its feet were unable to hold the trail. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts. No great loss.Saint Peter's sandals . bakers. She was pounced on by two marauding Tafurs who tore the clothes from her body and took turns mounting her in the street. And Robert too. they run like grandmothers. horses. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered. the boy stopped in his tracks. stretching out as far as the eye could see. and then a shout. Different from a moment ago. our own conquering army spilled in. his white hair and beard billowing in the draft. I wanted not just to fight for my own gain.My heart pounded under my tunic.. knowing that on the other side lay Antioch. heads charred and roasted. Here I was. They were unafraid.Sophie turned in my arms and faced me with a blank.

No comments:

Post a Comment