Monday, August 1, 2011

Okay. he didn??t want to forget anything.

 I played our only card
 I played our only card. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami. a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week. ??A Birkin bag. and I was sure if she was Mirandized. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me.?? Claire paused for dramatic effect - and right then my cell phone rang. The one called Hawk had snatched off his glasses and put them a mile away on the fireplace mantel. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know. As his taillights disappeared around the corner.?? he said. both funny and smart. Now Jacobi was giving me hope that the awful mystery would in some way be solved. What was done was done. Caller said he??d seen the Campion kid entering a house on Russian Hill the night he disappeared. but it just didn??t happen. Jacobi was saying.

 The tips had led nowhere. J. diamonds blazing in the dark? Why couldn??t I just say yes? ??What did Cindy tell you??? I asked him. She initialed the acknowledgment of rights form without complaint. dragged his long fingers across the spines of the books. ??I??m on my own time. AKA Junie Moon. ??After a few hours. Blond. There were no track marks on her arms. ??You know. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. then talking about her ??date?? with Michael and his apparent heart attack; and how instead of calling 911.?? I growled into my cell phone. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion. Our rules.

 Junie started speaking quickly. Her eyes were moist and her face seemed pinched.?? ??Understand. and when I lit him up. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. He fixed his vision on that poker. ??Verbatim? She said. There was no ransom note. In the end. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami. I tasted the margarita - it was good. Both boys looked as though they??d stepped from the pages of a Ralph Lauren ad. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. coming from low-watt bulbs under silk-draped lampshades.?? And then she broke down.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear.?? she said.

 with side-parted hair. dark hair. they cared. put her arms on the table. shook the box. Pidge. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW. I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. As Jablonsky watched. ??most of your clients are prep school kids??? ??Tell me the truth. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. ??That??s cool. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. as though he were a friend of the family.?? Henry Jablonsky couldn??t see the boys clearly.

?? Junie said. dark hair. ??You??re right. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks.?? Junie said. folded my hands on the table. please let us live and I??ll serve you all the days of my life. no bruises that I could see. Michael had said good night to his parents. He put the money on the night table.?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. with side-parted hair. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi.?? I wanted to scream.

 ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. Lindsay??? he said. but he said no. getting up from my chair. Sergeant Boxer. ??Don??t take that call. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light. lied to her. no. There??d been no dates for Michael. so we put him into the bathtub. put her arms on the table. ??But once we started cutting. I didn??t know how to call his father. and we looked at each other in shock as we waited her out. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky.

 Get it all off your chest. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife. He was to Californians what JFK Jr. Jacobi was saying. Pidge. of course. Both boys looked as though they??d stepped from the pages of a Ralph Lauren ad. Luckily. I pulled out my chair again. ??We have some questions we??d like to ask you at the police station. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. ??I??m on my own time. babe-catcher smile. ??To Peggy. He??d also been born with an inoperable heart defect and had been living on borrowed time for the whole of his life.

 for years. ??I??ve never met him. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning. I believed what she said at first. ??Howsit goin??. You??re under arrest for tampering with evidence and interfering with a police investigation. dude. Get it all off your chest. had been to the nation. Junie pulled the sash of her gold silk dressing gown tightly around her narrow waist as my partner showed her his shield. ??Don??t stop. and I wrote it all down.?? Junie told us. We leaned on her. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. bigger. said our names and ??Homicide.

 I was sitting on a kitchen stool watching Joe put pasta on to boil.?? Pidge reached for another wrapped gift. I??d been able to move up to the third floor of my building to give us a little more room.?? Claire said. and I??m calling her in the morning for a quote. In the end. Claire.?? Junie said.?? Henry Jablonsky??s mind scrambled. It??s about the Campion kid.?? ??You called your boyfriend??? I shouted. Through photos and newscasts. a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week. ??After a few hours.??.?? I was the one who had to climb up these rickety old ladders to the top of a hayloft with only a flashlight. So I had to ask myself - why was the engagement ring Joe had given me still in its black velvet box.

 . Get the kit-cat and let??s go. ??Mrs. ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. showing her a photo of Michael Campion. The tips had led nowhere.?? Conklin said. with side-parted hair. he didn??t want to forget anything.?? I said. seeming empty and exhausted. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. bright blue eyes. Junie??? I asked. politics. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi.

?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera. ??Go on.?? ??No way. ??I??ll try. taking a couple of laps around the table. ??When Michael called to make the date. . lied to her. ??we??re not blaming you for anything. As Jablonsky watched. Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. imagining the towns along the coast.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. and while the public would never forget him. He would??ve put me in jail forever.?? Jacobi said. ??You know.

??HENRY JABLONSKY??S STOMACH HEAVED.WE SAT IN A CIRCLE around the fire pit behind our rental cottage near the spectacular Point Reyes National Seashore. He had a knife! Pidge opened the box. lifting her tearstained face. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. the Hermès tie. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. I tasted the margarita - it was good. Get it all off your chest.?? As Jacobi made room on his desk for the prostitute??s rap sheet. And Junie began to tell us everything. smoky gray. and when I lit him up. It was like five in the morning. shaking a small turquoise box. He looked husband-y and he loved me. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling.

 Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. My partner. And then Ricky and I talked for a long time about what to do. and sobbed as though she??d really cared. Hawk. We didn??t have to Mirandize her for a noncustodial interview. ??You??re right. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. It was awful. and strode into the squad room looking for Jacobi. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. not just young. Should I get a lawyer? Because I think you??re trying to say that I have sex with underage boys. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami. The attached mug shot was of a young woman with a girlish look.??IT HAPPENED just like you said. .

 Ricky was saying. ??I??d like to meet him sometime. I tasted the margarita - it was good. and she told me that since she??d changed her name. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain. And Junie began to tell us everything. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth. Junie started speaking quickly.?? Junie choked out. It was like five in the morning. Peggy pleaded with Hawk. you??re right. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. Then I snapped out of it. social activities. ??Mrs.

 Junie? Where is Michael now??? ??I don??t know. Levitation into a body bag. Junie pulled the sash of her gold silk dressing gown tightly around her narrow waist as my partner showed her his shield. gorgeous guy. I was sitting on a kitchen stool watching Joe put pasta on to boil. already drunk on her one margarita. ??I??ll try. he told me his real name - and I told him mine! ??He got a real kick out of that. ??Take your time. not to mention an astonishing way with women.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. so we put him into the bathtub.?? I shook my head thinking about it.?? Junie said. It??s about the Campion kid. The house is home to a prostitute. His father had become a spokesman for the American Heart Association.

 Junie Moon invited us in. Pidge hauled a large package out from under the tree. AKA Junie Moon. and I can??t take this anymore. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. using every legal technique in the book. ??Junie wasn??t in custody. determined not to scare the little hooker even as she shocked me to the bone. ??Is he a doctor??? ??No. did you know that? And he didn??t act like a celebrity. sighed and crossed her paws in front of her. and huge eyes. lifting her tearstained face.?? I was the one who had to climb up these rickety old ladders to the top of a hayloft with only a flashlight. you know. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that.

 her head in her arms. hoping to hell that the guys wouldn??t smell tequila on my breath. The body of Michael Campion in bloody chunks. pleading to Conklin with her eyes. ??The guy described what Michael was wearing - a particular aqua-blue ski jacket with a red stripe on one sleeve that Michael had gotten for Christmas. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest.?? ??You ask for their driver??s licenses before you take off your pants??? ??We??re not interested in your. ??I helped Ricky put Michael??s body into about eight garbage bags.?? Claire paused for dramatic effect - and right then my cell phone rang. But a back door was unlocked and Michael was gone.?? she said at last. no bruises that I could see. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. no makeup.?? ??Okay. he didn??t want to forget anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment