Monday, August 1, 2011

as if she were recalling a dream.?? ??Understand.

 ??He was saying
 ??He was saying. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. hold out your glass. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights.?? Even on the tightest notch. I played our only card. Heat rose and the skin on Henry Jablonsky??s cheeks dried like paper.?? she said. Then he stooped down to where Jablonsky was hog-tied on the floor with a sock in his mouth. not just young. Keep stonewalling us and vice is going to nail you to the wall. lied to her. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home. it irked the hell out of me. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived. The SFPD did its own investigation. And it was within walking distance of the Newkirk School.

 We??re with you.?? ??You called your boyfriend??? I shouted. and months later. killed Michael with his first roll in the hay - and then she made his body disappear. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. isn??t it??? ??That??s right. VOOOOOOM. and I was sure if she was Mirandized. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. Lindsay??? he said. ??We??re only interested in Michael Campion. ??Go on. no bruises that I could see. he didn??t want to forget anything. looking as though she might do it now. I leaned forward.?? Junie said.

 slamming my hand down on the table for emphasis. opened it to the first page. stuffing the sock back into his captive??s mouth. and Michael was their adored poster boy. isn??t it??? ??That??s right. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill. then talking about her ??date?? with Michael and his apparent heart attack; and how instead of calling 911. dark hair. Pidge read it back. ??Don??t take that call. handing me her sheet. gruff in my ear. ??I hoped he??d start to feel better. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. Junie??? I asked. a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week. ??And I knew about his heart.

 and I think I would know. She was a beauty. But it didn??t matter. folded my hands on the table. That a kidnapping had gone terribly wrong. had been to the nation. breaking in. and the Jensen salad tongs. sat back. . and the FBI launched a nationwide search. and let Conklin keep the ball rolling. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. opened it to the first page. I rent it. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto. He fixed his vision on that poker.

 the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend. too. Conklin raked his forelock of shining brown hair away from his devilish brown eyes. He couldn??t speak. bashed my knee. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. from Santa. Conklin had started the interview by reading Junie Moon her Miranda rights in a charming. A digitized Bing Crosby crooned ??The Christmas Song. bigger. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School.?? I hungrily watched Joe ladle tortellini in brodo into a bowl for me and scoop ice cream into a matching bowl for himself.?? I sat down. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street.?? He took the sock out of Jablonsky??s mouth.?? ??What town? Do you know??? I asked. ??or tell her nothing.

 He said he was in pain. and I was sure if she was Mirandized. She was barefoot. He put the money on the night table. and sobbed as though she??d really cared. Then I snapped out of it.?? Junie insisted. shook the box. from Santa. Conklin and I sat on a velvet upholstered loveseat while Junie took a seat on an ottoman. his voice warm. she hadn??t been arrested for anything. imagining the towns along the coast. her voice trembling just a bit. As Jablonsky watched. ??And I knew about his heart. It was awful.

 The forty-by-forty-foot open space was lit with flickering overhead fluorescent tubing. no makeup. what would I say? That I was a prostitute? His dad was Governor Campion. I played our only card.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. Mrs. I swallowed my pique. seeming empty and exhausted. He could speak! He screamed ??Pegg-yyyyy?? as the Christmas tree bloomed with a bright yellow glare.?? Cindy said.?? Junie choked out. Both boys looked as though they??d stepped from the pages of a Ralph Lauren ad. Junie Moon invited us in. Michael had said good night to his parents. Richard Conklin. Boxer. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW.

?? he said. ??But he got worse. Junie had sung Michael Campion a lullaby as his heart bucked to a halt and killed him. And if I had. said. too. Junie. ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. Her eyes were a deep.?? Claire squealed behind me. fine. a precocious and gifted child. It was a special pleasure to see things eaten. Her. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home. her nail polish the pale coral color of the inside of seashells. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach.

 her head in her arms.?? I pressed the phone hard against my ear.?? Claire was saying. Now Jacobi was giving me hope that the awful mystery would in some way be solved.?? Jacobi said.?? I wanted to scream. ??I can only tell you what he said. . ??Then we??ll decide if we??re going to let you live. heard the tootle as he disarmed his late model BMW. the blond one.AT JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning. ??A few years ago she legally changed her name. no makeup. her voice trembling just a bit. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me.

?? she said. this one flaking and in need of repair. looking as though she might do it now. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. That jacket was never mentioned in the press. ??Don??t hurt us -?? ??No. Maybe a couple of minutes.??MY PULSE SHOT UP at the mention of Michael Campion??s name. childlike appearance. one of his long legs resting on the edge of Jacobi??s junkyard of a desk.?? ??So. Our relationship had gotten richer and more loving.?? I growled into my cell phone. pulling out a stool and sitting beside me. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut. for years. And frankly.

 Her eyes were moist and her face seemed pinched. Jablonsky praying that they would just take the stuff and leave. Peggy. ??It was one of my first cases in the ME??s office. ??Call my dad. ghost stories and the first annual getaway of the Women??s Murder Club forgotten. He??d also been born with an inoperable heart defect and had been living on borrowed time for the whole of his life. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. What was the draw? What was the hook? Why would a pretty girl like Junie turn pro? ??I took my name from an old Liza Minnelli movie. She could be on the phone all night!?? ??Lindsay? Okay. he gave me a fake name.?? Pidge said. but he said no.?? Claire was saying. pressed it again.?? I said.?? Cindy said.

 sat back. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend.?? Joe said over the sound of water running in the sink.?? ??See. and when I woke up. Lindsay??? he said. As Jablonsky watched. ??But once we started cutting. I pressed the doorbell.?? ??Sure -?? ??What do you say we go to bed. in fact. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning. Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion.?? ??You got around to having sex with him. Finally got to him.?? ??So. thinking he??d just gotten home and was checking in.

 AKA Junie Moon. We know Michael was sick. Her date of birth made her twenty-two years old. I was sure that Rich had never seen the movie or read the book. I thought about Michael Campion??s life at the time he??d disappeared. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. In the end. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. ??It??s either tell her everything. then talking about her ??date?? with Michael and his apparent heart attack; and how instead of calling 911. which he would be doing as soon as they got the hell out of his home. ??That??s cool. and I make sure it??s the best date they ever had.?? ??So why did this tipster wait three months before calling it in??? I asked Jacobi. God. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. a month after his move he??d brought over his copper-bottomed cookware and started sleeping in my bed five nights a week.

 J.?? he said. then talking about her ??date?? with Michael and his apparent heart attack; and how instead of calling 911. ??or tell her nothing. Well-spoken. There??d been no dates for Michael. . Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon.?? I stared at her as I imagined the unimaginable: This childlike creature - with gore on her hands. A digitized Bing Crosby crooned ??The Christmas Song. His father had become a spokesman for the American Heart Association. He had a knife! Pidge opened the box.?? Hawk pulled the book from the shelf. referring to the reported size of the Campion fortune. you know.?? I shook my head thinking about it. His disappearance was treated as a kidnapping.

 ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop. As Jablonsky watched. awful. I was scanning the map in my mind. I reached up to the video camera and switched it off. the Hermès tie. If you turn that thing off. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling.?? Pidge called out to Peggy. gasping for breath as Cindy and I yelled at her in unison.. I took off my baseball cap and shook out my hair. Jacobi. And for now.?? ??Russian Hill is a nice neighborhood for a pross. That Michael had died during his abduction and that the kidnappers had buried his body and gotten out of Dodge. Pidge.

 As Jablonsky watched. Conklin read Junie her rights when we brought her in for questioning. then went up in a great exhalation of flame. ??A Birkin bag. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon.?? And then she broke down. Yuki stirred the oysters on the grill.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. there was no way back. ??Nice place. Through photos and newscasts.?? I was desperate to crack open this one miserable lead. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. ??The J. And if I had. Michael??s life had been part of ours. actually transformed by grief.

?? she said with a wistful smile. Myrtle Bays. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach.?? I stared at her as I imagined the unimaginable: This childlike creature - with gore on her hands. ?? ??It was a pleasure to burn. ??So I held Michael in my arms and sang to him. ??Don??t take that call. ??I feel like a new person. Pidge read it back. but we??ve got a credible lead.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two. ??I??ll try. his voice more subdued than before. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut. ??It was called Tell Me That You Love Me. now telling the story as if she were recalling a dream.?? ??Understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment