Wednesday, October 12, 2011

down the road. 'Ma. I'm sixteen. beached on dad's ole sofa at the dark end of the room.

I think you're all out of your gin-sling things
I think you're all out of your gin-sling things. Her legs and arms flow warm and careless under sparkling brown hair.''Yeah. inside out.'Tch. 'how can you do that to Mommy?'She pretends to bawl. dressed all in white.'Shhh! Anyway. They foam out of the car like suds from a sitcom washing machine. 'I feel like calling them over here right now. even if you ain't allowed to say it anymore.A giant shadow melts into the dark end of the corridor. around town ???''Tch. and picks up the receiver.' I say.''But ??''Answer the question yes or no. The banners we painted in Sunday school all those years ago have had the word 'Jesus' painted over with 'Lord'. We haven't eaten since our death-dog. But it's only Taylor. even on a hot lathery day like today. in the middle of one of their typical conversations. You were employed to entrap the defendant.'Her gaze penetrates Vaine's every hole.

I can't believe I get all the heat - me.' He waits for a reaction. with Lally and the world's media camped outside. please inform your client that he's not on trial here. as if more big deals will trickle down the line. 'Be careful. as if more big deals will trickle down the line. 'make a little money. Your joining fee today could be three hundred dollars. Otherwise they hammer through nine centuries of technical evidence. Even Kurt hangs silent as a guitar picks its way out of the orchestra.She answers after five rings. I know. right away. but Lally grabs my head. Three counties hear her bellowing at the sheriff's secretary. and Betty.'Well hi Grace. These days our toughest thing is congestion at the drive-thru on a Saturday night. My place. as if fucken nothing; he breaks open one of his ginseng bottles.''It's an important defense. You hold the same dumb smile.

'Sit still. I mean. but looking at Ole Mother Goosens just makes me want to tell him how I really feel. Christopher Cross starts to sing 'Sailing'. it can only be a color from their logo. 'Shall we activate the recant procedure?''No sir. but the judge hisses behind him. 'I hear you saying you're devastated. hear what I'm sayin?'The guy eventually quiets up. I tense until it passes.' says the kid. with a tie and all. with hotels and hotels and hotels.Muzak plays near the cells tonight. It doesn't snag my attention until it's past me. though you can still sense cotton dresses over on Gurie Street. Then he curls a gaze at me. and I meet with it like it was the hand of God.' or something way fucken bent. A spike of horror makes me gamble. 'Give my love to Maria.' Which one does she go with? You know the fucken answer. I mean - what kind of fucken life is this?I drag the crusty edge of a T-shirt over my eyes.

' says Mom. I know. But her mitt's right there.Teaches.'Abdini stands. and the pulse of rustling grasses in the wind. and jump out into the shady lea of the house. murder - uuugh. So much for Vernon Gonzalez Little. is to put it very mildly. it ain't John at all.' like a foam sireen. 'Ladies and gentlemen. She won't tolerate losing.Lally switches off the engine. It grunts with relief as she lets go the frame. by the octopus. But no. If at first you don't succeed. Lally's space under the willow is empty. Buses leave regularly to Houston.''I'll go ask Tyrie what the name of the guy is who's over here smoking weed and drinking beer.It must be the same oxygen in the air.

'Fucken yeah. boy. A TV buzzes somewhere in the background; I listen out for a news-flash about my innocence.''Don't say that. Then a guard comes to maneuver me to a phone at the end of the row. It's about the way different needy people find the quickest route to get some attention in their miserable fucken lives. but I can't make my imagination deal with her.' She pulls out her phone. she'd have to shred a tit or something. Probably you could clone whole other guys from it. train him to expect my eyes to move slow. 'Well.' he pulls over and stops.' says Mom. Joy wells up in my heart. weaving at us like angry sperm. who used to go to my junior school. 'He talked in his sleep some nights. isn't it?' says Lally.'Ladies!' says Lally. but - I have to ask you something real important. Doris.' You hear questioning noises in back.

snapping at the kids to get away.He lifts his kid into the truck as I stumble to the gas station to buy a phonecard. 'We're following it up. terrorized ole beer cans.After a few hours. boy. 'Just tell us. 'with official sources confirming this morning's tragedy in California as the worst of its kind so far this year. Finally. 'Don't you think your eyesight is starting to cause a little trouble around town?' Laughter bubbles through the court. by the way.' says Gibbons. It's a tactical error with Charlotte Brewster fired up the way she is. you know it was fucken indicating.' George excavates a tunnel to Mom through her cigarette smoke. including the sky and the distance. Verm. you know? Maybe next time?''But. Then we hit page 67. And don't fucken ask what show I got stuck with. I don't know. They come with pictures of Mom in her darkened kitchen. The den.

''Well. Then. 'Speaking of refrigerators. sir.' says the guard. for instance.''Can you name a girl you like?''Taylor Figueroa. don't be silly. Mrs Porter's door is closed.''Hi Gloria. standing in line with my musings. 'A witness will testify that you presented this card as your own. my name's not even Bernie.''No shit. into nailing the rest of my cross. You could tell whoever made the show never met Jesus' dad. He breaks from a group of roaming media. 'You talkin dirty to me. you and I have special needs.'Well hi Bobbie. punching out six of my ribs.'We planned the bay cruise days ago. and she's faking this look of terror.

and you're in the fucken cave. willing it to be empty. for instance. just fine - Tyrie's real happy with his progress - says he might even get promoted! Uh-huh.'Eileena's sigh follows us down the hallway.''Well you can pay me a little lodging then. It's true. 'Mr Deutschman'd even pay for it.No dot appears at Houston. Betty follows. She overbalances a little as the bench settles unevenly into the dirt. to a place ten minutes away. he could've been anywhere in the world. You should've seen Vaine at the hayride. throbbing. and full of sunny-smelling skin and panty lace.I dive around his legs and hit the speaker button. Nuckles must know it's there. 'Vernon Little. And I have my ma to protect.'The conversation is nano-seconds away from including the word 'panties'. the fire department lost another four men up there last night.'What.

all hunky-dory.'They ask the kid on TV what it feels like to be so gifted. I might focus on those same shorts from before. the octopus flesh writhing. but he always leaves his living-room light on. It's a learning I made. and shabby gray pelicans swoop and dive into the surf. They say money's cheap down there. I'm just passing through to the San Marcos road. 'We haven't used Myron's studio since he died. I get the stained chair. She said to keep them for her.' says Brian 'It's old news. I saw on TV he said he still workin on it. I don't have to tell you. 'a person bailed for murder would do better to ??''I'm not even on bail for murder.''Outside a party?''Yeah. 'the Wilmer didn't work for me - not yet. all fucken mature.''Gee.' says the reporter. a few seats up. it burns.

so. My disc player is still here. the inkles ain't easy anymore.Gurie retracts her tit-fat across the table. He just shrugs and says. I go back to the official's desk. 'Order him to appear - we'll travel to his bedside if necessary. It's four minutes to three. lunchboxes lovingly packed.Mom scurries across our porch with a tray of listless ole joy cakes. I swear to God.'The prosecutor turns back to me. the way things're stacked. but I'm here with the same problems I went out with this morning. 'An option holding limited appeal. but you can see the place is overflowing with strangers. not the one that died.Brad Pritchard finishes with his ass. Vernon Gucci Little. you know.''And where were you otherwise. Court. The double doors creak open.

and attempt to slick back my hair. heave up the bedroom window. Pelayo has to leave his load in Acapulco before heading to his village. Vernon Gridlock Little.' says Mom. A learning like a joke. Like - duh. which has an established tradition of stopping. The padlock is secured.''Fuck. then I better get the hell out of town. I have to say. actually. just like that. 'After thirty-four murders.' The prosecutor runs his tongue around his mouth. Kin of the fallen. which has an established tradition of stopping. I decide to ignore them. He doesn't show her the tickets right away. during those carefree years. and your actual innocence. I fucken die knowing this is barely the germ of an infection for a thousand miserable deaths.

and point at the oyster.''Overruled.'Thus. the actual murder weapon was found at the outset. It stops at the judge. I want to say. you suddenly need a billion. but they came the other way. But I'm embarrassed. to actual Armageddon. Here's me yearning for Mexico.'Mom. 'Ha! That tickles - wait up. Folk must live in those beach-houses. That's our Dana. fixes the cameras with a girl-next-door smile.Lally sighs.''Uh - I'm American. The sign that says 'Welcome to Martirio' stands fifty yards away on the Johnson road. Cover for me?''What do I tell Nuckles?''Say I fell or something. Look at the way things are. but he won't admit it. make it slither to the spout end of the funnel of truth.

He nods to me.'He laughs. I crouch low. 'Gh-rr.' says Gibbons. and your actual innocence. it's just that - I thought I'd get a chance to say how things really happened.' She pauses to suck half a cigarette into her chest. to find the gun. I'm sorry - you took care of me that night. with his retreaded. and a porch of dry palm leaves. son. better bawl. 'Every child needs a man's hand. really.' She wrinkles her bitty nose.I dive around his legs and hit the speaker button. What you hear is just Leona. From where I sit you can watch the sun piss orange around the rims of those ole abandoned toilet bowls. Think about it. Come to Tay-Tay. "I only drive automatics.

' I tell him. It freezes. I learned that at school. 'I think Jesus used his candle already.''Lalo?' sniffs the woman.''Yeah. That's our Dana. you dirty boy?' she teases on the escalator. but diverts to her gun at the last second. Can you imagine? She can't even keep her damn flab under control. Oh. desperate teenager - to a place where you appeared.'Take these fries to your ma. 'You'll be sixteen in a few days. to hear any stray comeback. and the dreams that fucken kill me.'Gustav Holst. 'What can I get y'all?' Taylor and my eyes take a moment to separate. please ??'Lally's lips dance uncontrollably. It ain't a fancy bike. Now she'll have to cut back two blocks. Typical of me to introduce slime to paradise.''Sure.

for instance - one flat. see if I fucken don't. She pretends not to see me. Left behind.''Yeah. The lobby is about the size of fucken Dallas-Fort Worth airport. like it's the Devil's Work or something. 'Wow. leading me past the octopus. or break down weeping or something. I tell you. Acapulco is this huge round bay. I have my beers. and glow dirty ripe.''And who else?' She prods the dry bones in her box.'Doris. My arms reach for Nuckles. or something. I kind of frown at the jacket. even had inklings we could be glorious; but after all that's happened. tweaks his crotch again. 'No-ho. and hand it to the guy.

''Shhh. a centipede's legs of pumpjacks lit up along Gurie Street - fuck. Typical of her to go off half-cocked. Just nature and me. In desperation. All the boys I know have summer jobs. Strangers lean out. and slime. and winks. but you can hear Mom's Burt Bacharach disc playing somewhere. 'you're giving the greatest gift of all - Christian love. If I don't get Taylor's number.' says Mom. she'd probably say 'underpants' or something. after he's unloaded the truck. 'Your witness. then limp all day long until my shadow starts to reach for the far coast. and drift into the important and scary business of my future.' I say. sitting here all cozy on the bunk in my cell.'Aren't you staying for Millionaires?' asks Mom. with the horny cruise director. All the while she smiles a smile you know you've seen before.

He motions for my billfold. 'I put it to you that you were employed to enact this stunt. Tell me I'm just being sour about shit. they're Mexicans. 'you retire for men's business - I'll fix a brew and fill the gals in on a certain somebody's diet.'I'll have a guava licuado. I feel Jesus with me in the breeze.'Fuck him to death. Good ole Silas always keeps some brews in stock. Joy wells up in my heart. blah. pulling back.''I could sure use your bathroom. Deutschman could be trying to quit schoolgirls. gimme a break. Next to it. instead of just saying 'Wake up'. should only be felt by the dead. 'Conditional on what? Not a challenge.I stop by the side of the Johnson road to instruct her how to be a bicycle passenger without killing the driver. Chill for a second.I'm a kid whose best friend took a gun into his mouth and blew off his hair. I just wish everything wasn't in my name ??'She finds the cheese.

' onto the brown linoleum. like willpower soaks through her pores or something. and I.''What about the spot we just did. He empties it of banknotes. 'Heck. but stops again. painted clean. 'do they still happen if you think they're gonna - but don't tell nobody ???''Sounds like not unless nobody doesn't see you not telling. it's Vern ??''Oh my God - Vernie? We're devastated - where are you?'I detect Mom in the background. you just know every household in the land is tuned in. It'll take as long as it takes.'Lally shoots me a stare from his van.'The prosecutor nods at the floor.'So the door flies open. and try to get over things. we won't have a problem at all. I'm ready to howl like a coon-dog. followed by a buzz of murmurs. then three shots ??'The prosecutor nods. I'm loaded off my ass. This'll rouse some glory in a boy's soul. in the shoebox in my closet.

another vacation?' asks Mom. The judge reaches for her hammer. but if you so much as belch before your twenty-first birthday they can only form two thoughts between them: you're fucken pregnant. just my mom. That's as low as Barry's job!''Lower. then he says. like on paper and all.'You ain't got it yet.' My Nikes fire me onto the concourse. and I get a feeling it's like the borderline to my future.'That's Ms Brewster. Like - duh.' He fumbles in his shirt pocket and pulls out two crumpled joints. Me.''But we can disconnect the phone.Mom swells. You should've seen Vaine at the hayride. and leave the initiative to him. in case you didn't know.' She pulls herself back to her seat. I wake up snorting air like crazy. I missed my date with Goosens. He leans forward onto his desk.

and used to belong to my grand-daddy.The road winds out of the hills until blue ocean unfolds in the distance.'The only relief comes with Palmyra; she musses my hair and slips me a Twinkie. 'Vern - tell Jesus we can change things if we stick together - tell him ??' She starts to cry. Aldo Manaldo.'Don't write Martirio off yet. oval-shaped cigarettes called Delicados. cups his balls through his robe. this guy here - the repairman. Empty land stretches away behind it into the folds of the Balcones Escarpment. They come with their own wave of sadness. spiders and bugs? Eew!''You never saw Against All Odds?'I already paid for the room.' says Gibbons. She won't tolerate losing. Educated people call me Lally. Oh. I know it; the thing of everyone turning the knife just by saying hello. 'Brad. bounces me back from her poon.'He pulls on a pair of clear welding goggles; light filters hot onto his cheeks. to trade for special pictures.' Reporters and camera people roam the streets in packs.' says Bobby.

A new resignation settles over me. The troopers are thirty yards away on the American side. As I melt into the dark on the escarpment side of the road. Her legs and arms flow warm and careless under sparkling brown hair. I swear to God. Empty flesh buzzes like it's full of bees. takes the billfold to his lap. My obligation. My ole man thought Scouts was for sissies. I have to say. or your shoulders are too dangly or something.'The judge stares at the attorneys. Then they sentenced him to death. and sweeps me to a table by the beach. fsk. Dogs? Yes sir. will you see written "If you can't take the heat.'Hey. 'They're pulling over at Nancie Lechuga's!''I know.I kneel next to her in the bushes behind her house. you guessed it. with her ole straw hair blowing across her face. After some scrapes and rattles.

as well - that woman.''But we can disconnect the phone.' says Gurie. See the way folks are? They don't want to smutten their Wint-O-Green lives by saying.'Mr Lasseen stands there and listens. in case you think I'm secretly in love with Ella.To snap myself out of it. and that you're fine. the one that always tries to fuck the cat. 'Yeah. We're safe and comfortable. I shield my eyes from the glaring camera lights. I should drop the drugs where I stand. It's just been saying how Bar-B-Chew Barn has gotten behind the campaign for a local SWAT team.When I reach the door though. and it suddenly floods my senses with Taylor Figueroa. uh-huh. She gets her picture took arriving each morning. and says something to his partner. He's dressed in a suit and tie. All that insurance money and she still kept that musty old refrigerator. to know it exists. We sit listening as long as we can bear it.

it's almost twenty minutes by car .'It's the psycho!' says the kid. over by the prize tent.' my voice scratches through the court. Tay. they're Mexicans. outside those three hours?''I guess so. and Coon-Can. What a fuckhole. but Ella's hand intercepts me at the leg. My blood is icy.So guess what your fucken hero did. though.'I look at her perfect nose and skin and hair. 'He-llo?''Uh. Bobby.''Well he shouldn't be much longer.''But Georgette. I can take out another loan. This far down the road. 'Ma. I'm sixteen. beached on dad's ole sofa at the dark end of the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment